Me: “I can’t eat much at the dining halls, I’m gluten-free.”

Everyone else: “But you have that whole gluten-free section in the buffet area, right?”

If by “whole gluten-free section” you mean stale cookies, sticky rice, pasta and frozen pizza, then yes! I’ve got that whole section to myself. If you’re a gluten-free eater, you know my struggle. Lucky for you, I have info that will help you feel safe dining in South Commons.

Photo by Bari Blanga

I don’t recommend spending your money at the buffet section in Redifer; their options are hit or miss. But one great part about the buffet is the ability to ask for your meals to be made gluten-free.

As far as paninis go, there is some good news and some bad news. The good news is that the employees can grab gluten-free bread and put together the sandwich of your choice. The bad news is that their gloves are constantly handling regular bread, and for sensitive people like myself, this is toxic.

Photo by Bari Blanga

Who would have thought sushi could contain wheat? Not me. I ate California rolls from Edomae for weeks. I finally asked specific questions and a very nice fella said that the vegetable rolls are gluten-free, though he made one from scratch to be extra careful. I would advise you to ask for the manager if you need a sushi fix.

Fresco y Caliente made it very clear that nothing is gluten-free. I personally don’t believe they sprinkle breadcrumbs over their rice and guacamole, but who knows?

Piatto Felice and Redifer City Grill are venomous for people with Celiac or gluten intolerance.

Photo by Bari Blanga

Hot Steel & Noodles can take a while to make your meal because they prepare it on a separate grill, but it’s worth it. The employees give you the option of gluten-free soy sauce or sweet and sour sauce, plus white rice, chicken and whatever vegetable toppings you want. Always tell them you are gluten-free.

Urban Garden is my safe haven. They have a salad bar with protein, vegetables and seasonings, as well as soups. If you want to get fancy with seasonings and dressings, I would ask the manager for suggestions. My favorite salad includes iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, feta cheese, steak and oil and vinegar.

Isn’t being gluten-free wonderful? Stick to these options and you’ll be well on your way to maintaining a gluten-free diet in South!