Toast. A simple food, one that pretty much anyone can make. It might seem like a boring food but that is far from the truth. Toast can be exciting and there are many things you can do to upgrade toast and really wow yourself with your toast skills.

1. Butter the Bread BEFORE You Toast it.

dairy, butter, dairy product, milk, cheese
Caroline Ingalls

Butter is flavor and when you choose to butter your bread before you toast it, magical things happen. The butter melts all throughout the bread while toasting, giving it a richer taste and crisping up the bread better. You also don't have to worry about your butter not melting while spreading the butter which is a plus. Warning: if you butter before toasting, do not use the toaster since that can be a fire hazard. Instead, opt for a toaster oven, a normal oven, or a pan to toast your bread.

2. Use Milk Bread (Shokupan).

wheat, bread, sweet, pastry, candy, cookie, flour, toast, cereal
Christin Urso

For those who don't know what milk bread is, it is a Japanese bread that is super soft and fluffy. Out of a whim one day, I decided to use milk bread instead of normal bread for my toast and it was a game changer. Since milk bread is softer and fluffier than normal bread, when you toast it, you get the familiar crispy exterior of toast but the inside is still super soft and this contrast in textures is just heavenly. Milk bread may be a little difficult to locate depending on where you live. If you live near an Asian bakery or grocery store, it is very likely that they have milk bread. If you do not have one of these stores near you, you can also get your quarantine-honed bread making skills into action and make your own milk bread. 

3. Try Using a Pan.

Burnt Pan, pan

Using a toaster or a toaster oven to make toast is probably the most convenient, but if you have time, try using a pan to make toast. With the extra oil in the pan to fry the bread, you get a richer toast and without constant heat around like a toaster or oven brings, your toast doesn't dry out as much. Oil choices in pan-frying toast can also brighten up your toast. For instance, you can use garlic infused olive oil for a little garlic bread-esque toast or maybe some sesame oil for a nutty flavor. Using a pan also helps you keep an eye on your toast better so you don't accidentally burn your toast in the toaster.

4. Get Creative With Your Combinations.

Ann arbor, lunch, brunch, egg, avocado, avocado toast
Gabi Mechaber

This one may seem obvious but it can't be said enough. Get creative! Don't just eat the same old toast with butter everyday. This article provides a variety of toast options you can try ranging from simply eggs to a mascarpone cheese, blueberries, raspberries, and honey topping. Yum!

5. Don't Forget to Season it!

#Spices #Parsley #Salt #Cayenne #Onionpowder #Paprika
Kelsey Jensen

I don't know how many times I've forgotten to salt my toast and it tasted disappointing. Salt is your friend and helps enhances the flavor of the butter and toast. Without it, your toast is just boring. You can also get creative with different spices to add on your toast. Maybe try some paprika on your avocado toast or some cinnamon on your banana and peanut butter toast next time!

Now let's get toasting!