If you're like most students at Miami University, you probably miss Oxford more than anything right now. We know how you feel. Something about our local restaurants, bars, and everywhere in between just can't be replaced. If you're missing out on your favorite foods that you can only get in Oxford, we're here to help! Here's a list of five of the most iconic dishes that you're sure to have fond memories of, and can easily make in your own kitchen.

1) The Crunch and Munch from Bagel & Deli

Nothing beats the taste of this messy bagel sandwich after a long night out (or in, for that matter). While you probably don't have a custom bagel steamer like this joint does, try just microwaving one wrapped in a damp paper towel for 15-25 seconds. Here's all the toppings you'll need for objectively, the best bagel to ever grace this Earth:

Sliced Turkey

Smoked cheddar

Lettuce

Honey mustard

Parmesan peppercorn dressing

Nacho Cheese Doritos®, or chips of your liking

Everything bagel

With your warmed-up bagel, add everything but the Doritos®, and if you want the true gooey taste of the real thing, place the bagel sandwich back into the microwave for about 10 seconds, or however long it takes to get it warmed through. It might help to microwave it open-faced, so the heat is distributed more evenly. Once it's heated to your liking, add your chips and smash it all together. Pairs well with a large deli pickle.

2) Oreo Milkshake from Pulley's

You're not a true Miami student if you haven't gotten a Pulley milkshake after midnight at some point. According to actual real science, their milkshakes taste 200% better in the middle of the night. So, when you're making this at home at 2am, just be careful not to wake up your parents with the blender. Here's what you'll need for the crowd-favorite cookies and cream milkshake:

1 cup of vanilla ice cream (the more solid it is, the better, so opt for something on the harder side, like Häagen Dazs)

1/2 cup of milk (more fat = more flavor, but use whatever you like best)

5 crushed Oreo cookies

Whipped cream for topping

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until thoroughly incorporated. For a thicker shake, use less milk or more ice cream. Top with whipped cream and additional cookies if desired.

3) Loaded Fries from Left Field Tavern

If you've never tried this restaurant's version of this classic appetizer, you're missing out. The good news is, though, that it's pretty easy to recreate at home. This is a great recipe for sharing, but it's totally normal and honestly, understandable, to finish it all yourself. Here's what you'll need for this beer-friendly dish:

French fries

Lots of shredded cheese (cheddar is best)

Ranch

Crumbled bacon

Chopped green onion

Ground black pepper

Bake or fry a few large handfuls of french fries until crisp, then transfer to an oven-safe dish or sheet. Top generously with shredded cheese, drizzle on ranch dressing, and crumble on some bacon, then broil for a few minutes until melted. Add the green onions and some black pepper, and enjoy!

Tip: if you don't have fries, you can use potato skins, like pictured below!!!

4) Calzones from Doughby's

Even if you can't get your favorite 2 for $12 calzone combo every Wednesday now, making your own from home gives you the freedom to add whatever ingredients you want! Here's just one recipe for the Red Hawk calzone, and if you want to recreate your personal favorite, just adjust the fillings to your own desire.

Ingredients for the "Legend" calzone:

Store-bought pizza dough (canned)

Parmesan cheese

Mozzarella cheese

Ricotta cheese

Pepperoni

Italian seasoning

Marinara for dipping

Preheat oven to 425 Fº. Unroll the canned dough into a flat rectangle, then cut into four equal pieces. Roll out each of these pieces into a 7x5 rectangle, then add desired amounts of fillings. Pinch the edges shut, and crimp with a fork. Lightly brush with egg and olive oil. Note: use smaller amounts of wet ingredients, like ricotta, to reduce any leaking while baking. Cook on a baking sheet for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown, and enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.

5) If you're 21+, the iconic Trashcan from Brick Street Bar & Grill

Ok, this one might not be the best option if you're just chilling on the couch at your parents' house, but it might be fun to try in smaller quantities for game night, or even virtual happy hour with your friends. This is by no means a high-end gourmet beverage, but the familiar taste of the alarmingly blue drink might just make August feel not quite so far away. Here are scaled-down (half-sized) versions of both the regular and the tropical Trashcans, since the full-sized, 32 oz. version might concern your parents a bit. 

Regular Trashcan:

1/2 oz. each of the following:

Vodka

Gin

Rum

Triple Sec

Blue Curaçao

1/2 can of Red Bull

Pour over ice and top off with sour mix

Tropical Trashcan:

1/2 oz. each of the following:

Vodka

Gin

Rum

Triple Sec

1/2 can of Tropical Redbull

Pour over ice and top it off with orange juice

Pro tip: to truly make it feel like you're in your favorite college bar, pour some mud(?) on the ground, turn off the lights, set your LED strip lights to "strobe", and blast "No Hands" by Waka Flocka Flame. Bonus points if you can get your parents to check your ID and wristband you. If they refuse tell them that you "know the owner", that should work. Drink responsibly!

Bonus copycat recipes:

Skipper's/Mac and Joe's Fried Mac Bites (air-fryer friendly!)

Skyline Chili to make your own coneys or 3-ways

Bruno Pizza's garlicky Bruno Dough

Final notes: while these recipes might not be *just* like you get at school, we hope they'll make you a little less "school-sick" during quarantine! Stay healthy!