Fans around the world are now getting their hands on Pokémon Sword and Shield, and a few weeks ago, it was announced that Ash finally won a major Pokémon League. Certainly, Pokémon fans everywhere have become Skitty, and personally, reading all the news about Pokémon has hit me with a wave of nostalgia. But as I’ve become a foodie in college, one thing has caught my attention as I begin to revisit old TV episodes and playthroughs of the earlier games: Pokémon food.

The Pokémon TV series and games abound with iconic foods any veteran Pokémon fan can recognize. Some of these treats are created just so that our pocket monster companions have something scrumptious to munch on. Other foods are staples of the TV series that our fan-favorite characters dine on or even cook up themselves. While this list is not exhaustive, here are some of the most famous foods of the series and recipes to make them yourself.

Brock’s Jelly-Filled Donuts (a.k.a. Rice Balls)

What better way to kick off this list than with Brock’s famous jelly-filled donuts? Now, these donuts bear a striking resemblance to Japanese onigiri, or rice balls, and if you were confused as I was when I heard the word “donut,” then you’re in good company. Because of attempts to localize the English dubbing at the time, 4KIDS decided to go with donuts instead of rice balls. Even then, this meme will continue to spark laughter in the Pokémon fan community.

If you’re wondering how you can make some of Brock’s specialty donuts yourself, check out Binging with Babish’s recipe to recreate the donuts. These jelly-filled triangular donuts coated with coconut flakes will give you the energy you need to complete your Pokémon training. If you’re not satisfied with these impostor rice balls, there’s also a recipe to replicate Brock’s rice balls as well. Why not get the best of both worlds and make both?

Brock’s Stew

Another staple in the Pokémon series, Brock probably cooks up this stew at least five times each season. As Ash and his friends journeyed through the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh regions, they often took breaks along the way to eat some of Brock’s specialty stew.

While there’s no recipe given by Brock himself, boiling some creamy stew is likely your best bet to snatch a taste of it yourself. Luckily for you and me, there are a variety of recipes for soups and stews with a creamy broth: clam chowder, Japanese style cream and chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup—the possibilities are endless.

Poffins

Moving on from people food to Pokémon food, poffins made their debut in the Generation IV games to enhance a Pokémon’s chances of winning in a Pokémon contest. Although it’s a combination of the words "Pokémon" and "muffin," its appearance makes it look more like buns, scones, or cream puffs. If you're only looking to mimic the in-game poffins, though, try this recipe concocted by Feast of Fiction.

Poké Puffs

This Generation VI classic first appeared in the Pokémon-Amie mini games as rewards players could win. Feeding them to a Pokémon would increase its affection, and reaching higher levels of affection would give the player some special bonuses, like increasing experience obtained from battles. If you want to feast on some yourself, try making your own rendition with this fan-made recipe or making some mini cakes in the shape of your favorite Poké Puffs. I personally want to try my hand at frosting a Supreme Winter Poké Puff.

Malasada

Next up on our list is the Alolan specialty, malasadas. Inspired by the real-world Hawaiian specialty, malasadas are fried donuts with roots in Portuguese cuisine. Workers from the Azores, an autonomous region of Portugal, brought the donuts with them, and they remained in the Hawaiian Islands ever since.

What makes them different from your standard donut is the inclusion of egg within the dough and the use of milk or, in the case of Hawaiian malasadas, evaporated milk. If you’re looking to become a malasada expert like Mallow and make your very own Big Malasada, try this recipe inspired by malasadas sold by Leonard’s bakery. You can even tweak it to make a sweet, bitter, or sour malasada like the ones in the games.

Rare Candy

Need some sugar to boost up your energy by a level or two? These treasured candies help raise the level of your Pokémon without having to battle or leave them in the daycare. I’m always excited to get my hands on these in the games. If you want to cook up a sweet treat for yourself, make some of Feast of Fiction’s hard candy version. They won’t disappoint.

Pikachu's Ketchup

Last but not least, how can we forget Pikachu's ketchup? Our favorite mascot is a big fan of ketchup, even shedding tears when a bottle of the staple condiment is taken away from him. Heinz even sold a limited edition ketchup bottle featuring Pikachu on the label. In case you want to skip the grocery run and make a bottle for yourself, here's a recipe to cook up some homemade ketchup.

Whether you’ve been a fan for years or just started your Pokémon journey, Pokémon continues to be a franchise beloved by people everywhere. From the games to the TV series, Pokémon’s legacy of encouraging kids to dream big and be the next Pokémon master will live on. But while you’re in the middle of your training, take some time to reminisce and even cook up some of the most iconic food in the Pokémon universe.