The Binghamton University Marketplace can be a scary place to eat if you have yet to learn its many secrets. A lot of people stay away from the Marketplace because it seems like there are limited healthy options, but if you order right, just about any station can be tasty and healthy.

Marketplace

Photo by Sasha Reiter

Indian food is full of flavor, but heavy sauces and high starches can make it a not so healthy choice.

For Moghul’s station, try getting a half rice half salad bowl instead of a full rice bowl. The rice will go good with the salad and you won’t be overdoing it with the starchy rice.

Another trick is to ask for the sauce on the side. This will allow you to control how much you add to your bowl, so you can decide for yourself how healthy you go.

Marketplace

Photo by Sasha Reiter

Salads are naturally healthy, right? Sure, most of the options at Gardentoss are as healthy as they are various and tasty, but where they really get you is the dressing.

An easy way to keep your salad a healthy option is to ask for your dressing on the side, or by choosing lower fat dressings like balsamic vinegar.

Marketplace

Photo by Sasha Reiter

Getting a sandwich is an easy and delicious way to eat fast and eat well, but with all the options at Sub-Connection, it’s also easy to make a pretty unhealthy sandwich.

One way to keep your sub relatively healthy is to choose lighter sauces over the heavier options, and go with light mayo instead of regular.

Bread is another easy way to add carbs to your diet, so choosing the whole grain option will make a big difference.

Marketplace

Photo by Sasha Reiter

Who doesn’t like smoothies? Fruit is usually pretty healthy, but smoothies can become pretty bad for you depending on how they’re made.

To make sure your smoothie is as healthy as it is satisfying, ask for it with no sweetener. The fruits are sweet enough on their own and you’re likely to notice no difference in taste, only a large difference in the amount of sugars you intake.

Another tip for Red Mango is to ask for a soy milk substitution. This will drastically change the amount of fat in your smoothie, and the fruits should still give you that sweetness you crave.

Or if you’re in the mood, Red Mango’s new green smoothies have less sugar than their fruit counterparts and are full of exciting new flavor combos.

Marketplace

Photo by Sasha Reiter

While most of what you’ll find here is starchy to begin with, you can still make some healthier choices and treat yourself at the same time. Pandini’s create your own pasta has many options to customize your meal, but there are some that are healthier than others.

Try swapping out the red or white sauce for pesto sauce, minced garlic or oil. There are lots of tasty veggies you can add to your pasta in place of meats or cheeses. Skipping out on the bread is also a good way to cut down on the carbs you are already taking in from the pasta.

Marketplace

Photo by Sasha Reiter

Feeling like Chinese? There are a few substitutions you can make at Mein Bowl to keep your meal on the healthier side.

Try swapping your fried rice for white rice. Choosing the saucy seasoned tofu instead of chicken, steak or pork is a healthier option that still tastes great. Instead of getting extra sauces on your food, go for the assorted fresh veggies and try to avoid the deep fried foods like dumplings or spring roles.

Marketplace

Photo by Sasha Reiter

For a different kind of sandwich, the Deli provides an immense amount of healthy alternatives.

Instead of meat, try the eggplant. Hummus and pesto make great replacements for mayo and heavy sauces. The Deli also offers gluten free bread and fresh avocado for your sandwiches.

As for bagels, the Deli offers a whole wheat option and low fat cream cheese.

Marketplace

Photo by Christina Millan

Breakfast is great any time of day. These tips will help you keep your breakfasts healthy whether they’re early morning or late at night.

Try substituting your regular eggs for egg whites. Cakes and Eggs has a whole wheat option for toast and a turkey sausage option to replace bacon. Cakes and Eggs has fruit for sale too, so skip out on pancakes and go for a healthier sweet.

Marketplace

Photo by Christina Millan

Sometimes you just need a coffee. The Cafe in the Marketplace is a great place to fuel up, but look out for the very sugar heavy drinks.

Iced coffee may not taste the same as a moca frappuccino or caramel late, but adding flavor pumps instead of getting complicated drinks could help cut down the sugar you intake.

Though breaking away from coffee to tea is difficult, there are plenty great flavors at the cafe, so finding your caffeine fix from less sugary drinks is only a few experimental cups away. Not to mention, iced or hot, a plain tea is zero calories.

Though the Marketplace is a large cafeteria, where many unhealthy foods reside, with the proper advice, anyone can conquer this space and find healthy ways to eat wherever they go.