In the crazy times of coronavirus, you are most likely stuck at home, bored and lethargic, wondering how your life will function in these next few weeks while you're sheltered in-place. There's a lot of anxiety buzzing in the air, but what better way to quell your nerves than to step into the kitchen, unleash your creativity, and cook a delicious meal?

As trips to the grocery store are limited, follow these tips and recipes to snazz up your meals in spirit of using up your week's leftovers. Not only are you properly social distancing, but you're also passing the time while hunkered down at home while also reducing food waste.

1) Roasted Veggies

Nora Verdier

When all else fails, roast some veggies.

The more, the better! If you have leftover carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, potatoes, onions, etc., chop and place them in a bowl, toss with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, any desired herbs, and bake on a sheet at 425ºF until roasted to desire. They are perfect as side dishes, in salads, and in grain or breakfast bowls.

2) Chef Salads

salad, vegetable, pepper, lettuce
Becky Hughes

Looking for a light, healthy, protein-filled meal? Chef salads are your answer.

They are an excellent way to use up any extra meats, cheeses, or vegetables. Add your desired toppings to a bed of lettuce with your favorite salad dressing or homemade vinaigrette. For extra flavor, add some fresh herbs like basil or parsley.

3) Breakfast Bowls and Grain Bowls

Nora Verdier

Breakfast bowls are easy, healthy, and filling -- plus, a great way to get in your daily recommendation of veggies. Simply reheat any leftover veggies and meats and top with two cooked eggs prepared to your liking (my go-to methods are scrambled or fried). For some extra flavor, top with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, herbs, plain greek yogurt, or hummus.

Grain bowls generally follow the same structure as breakfast bowls but with endless flavor-combinations. Start with brown rice, couscous, or quinoa, add reheated vegetables, add any desired meats or cheeses, and top with any desired flavor-boosters. Find some grain bowl recipe inspiration here.

4) Smoothies

Nora Verdier

If you have too much leftover fruit or browning bananas, freeze them and use them later for smoothies. Add your frozen fruit, yogurt, milk of choice, and honey into a blender for a delicious breakfast or mid-day pick-me-up.

For extra vitamins, add spinach or kale and chia or hemp seeds. Bonus points for artsy toppings!

5) Paninis

bread, vegetable, meat, sandwich
Tarika Narain

Panini sandwiches are my go-to lunch when all else fails. Construct your sandwich with slices of leftover meat, cheese, and any kinds of vegetables. Cook in a panini press or over the stove, pressing down with a spatula, a plate, or a heavy pan.

Find some fun panini sandwich recipe ideas here.

Leftovers may seem boring, but their possibilities are endless. With some extra time on your hands, discover your favorite flavor combinations, dabble in some food art, and take the time to appreciate all that food has to offer. Stay safe, stay healthy, and bring some good vibes into your kitchen!