Nuts are power foods and loaded with nutritional value. Don’t be confused though, because these food nuggets aren’t all made equally. Some nuts prove to be far more beneficial than others. When picking a snack in the future, keep these thoughts in mind.

The Best

Of all the options, walnuts, almonds, peanuts, cashews and pistachios win the “top nuts” prize. They do a lot for the body while staying low in calories.

Walnuts – The Overachiever

Photo by Bari Blanga

The nutritional value list goes on and on. They’ve been found to help lower the risk of blood pressure, artery disease, strokes and even some cancers. Definitely go nuts for these.

Almonds – The Dieter’s Choice

Almonds contain the most fiber and calcium per nut. They’re rich in vitamins and easy to incorporate into recipes. These nuts have the power to lower cholesterol and reduce your risk of heart disease. They’re the best nut to eat when trying to maintain or lose weight.

Peanuts – The Peter Pan Nut

Maybe you don’t have to grow up. Usually adults must let go of the foods they ate as children, but peanuts are the exception. Besides making great snacks and butter, they’re packed with protein and antioxidants. Like almonds, these nuts are great for your heart and can lower your cholesterol.

Cashews – The Study Nut

Photo by Bari Blanga

Cashews are high in iron and zinc making them fit college student’s needs. They promote better vision and can prevent memory loss – perfect for late night cramming.

Pistachios – The Slow-down Snack

Naturally, we eat despite having a clear feeling of hunger. Because of the shell, it takes more time to eat pistachios, which allows for more moderation. Each nut contains less than 4 calories, making pistachios a snack worth spending time over.

The Worst

Photo by Bari Blanga

Pecans and Macadamia Nuts

There’s a reason why these two are baked into delicious pies and cookies. They both have the lowest amount of protein and highest amount of fat per nut. Splurge with these dessert nuts acknowledging that they’re not the healthiest of choices.

Tip: Go nuts! Nuts make great snacks, but can get boring. So, why not make them interesting? Combine nuts with yogurt, dried fruit or fresh berries.