If you’re like me, and have sensitive eyes, cutting onions can be a real struggle. Like I’m talking sniffling, tears streaming down your face, can’t see what you’re even cutting kind of stress. But this can be avoided with some crazy (and scientifically proven) hacks. Try these next time you’re making a batch of salsa and need to not be a puddle of tears.

onion

Gif courtesy of giffy.com

1. Go underwater

onion

Photo courtesy of thedailymeal.com

I’m not talking deep-sea diving here, but cutting your onion in a sink filled with water will reduce the amount of tear production guaranteed.  Submerge your cutting board in a filled sink and get to cutting away. Just be careful and make sure you have a lot of space.

2. Freeze the onion

onion

Photo courtesy of dessertnowdinnerlater.com

Obviously when it comes to freezing anything cutting is going to become a lot more difficult, but it will be easier to see when you’re eyes are not filled to the brim with tears. 15 minutes in the freezer is all you’ll need.

3. Leave the root intact

onion

Photo courtesy of chezbettay.com

If you’re buying onions, make sure to get the ones with roots still intact, although cutting with the root makes it a little difficult as it doesn’t flatten out it causes less tears.

4. Microwave the onion

onion

Photo courtesy of thedailymeal.com

A quick 30 seconds will reduce a lot of future tears, just make sure to leave the ends intact and don’t trim them otherwise it’ll be like a scene from the Notebook.

5. Put a match in your mouth

onion

Photo courtesy of giffy.com

No this is not a trick. Put an unlit match between your front teeth and the red end of the match will absorb the sulfuric compounds before they can reach your eyes.

6. Put bread in your mouth

onion

Photo courtesy of thekitchn.com

Works similarly to the match trick.

7. Refrigerate the onion

onion

Photo courtesy of momfavorites.com

Make it at least 30 min or longer, and the longer you leave it cold the easier it will be to cut tear-free.

8. Rub lemon juice on the blade of the knife

onion

Photo courtesy of freefoodphotos.com

This is a proven method to avoid completely reducing yourself to a puddle of tears, but it only works effectively if you repeat the process every few cuts.

9. Run a fan nearby

onion

Photo courtesy of giffy.com

This is kind of a “duh” theory, but it does work. Just make sure it’s blowing away from your eyes.