Whoever bids you farewell into the city with a concerned look and a list of emergency contacts needs to chill out. You're a boss who can tackle the city and its worst nightmares all on your own. 

Venturing into the city, fully equipped with a working cell phone, a brain, and a remote sense of direction is all you need. There's some level of preparation that goes into moving to the Big Apple, but a good dose of uncommonly common sense is the most important piece. Here are a few things to think about before taking the safe plunge into the concrete jungle:

1. More People = More Safe

Aesthetic, British Columbia, Canada, Urban, downtown, bus, vintage, retro, vacation, Sunny, Summer, tourist attraction, 35mm, 35mm film, architecture, buildings, Vancouver, road, street, crossing, taxi
Melissa Ho

If you're waiting for a subway or walking a few blocks home, chances are you'll be around some crowds. That's a good thing! When you're situated around other people, they can help you out if something goes wrong. If you're walking alone at night, try to walk closely behind a group of people so that if anything goes awry you know it will be noticed quickly. 

2. Trust Your Review Sites

coffee, tea, study, bagel, computer, laptop, cafe, bread
Denise Uy

We all love Yelp for a good restaurant review, but it's also a great indicator of how safe a place is. Whether it's the safety of your food or the safety of the surrounding area, reviewers typically leave detailed, helpful descriptions. I've used Yelp for lots of bars to get a feel for the crowd, atmosphere, and the area around. 

3.  Drugstores Are Safe Spots

Whole Foods Market, inside whole foods market, organic section, organic whole foods, Vegetables, Grocery Store, groceries
Shelby Cohron

If you're ever stuck in a bind at night, you don't have to look too far before finding a nearby corner drugstore. These stores are mostly 24/7, and it's a safe space for you to catch your breath, make a plan, and use a phone. Whenever I feel like I'm in an uncomfortable situation, I head to a Duane Reade or CVS. 

4. Have A Safe Word

wine
Rose Ferrao

When you're out at night with your friends, you're going to encounter creeps — it's a given. The way you handle it makes or breaks the situation. Either you're too nice and things get out of control, or you're too mean and you end up pissing off the weirdo. I advise going into the night with a safe word or an easy out that will allow you to escape the situation gracefully. 

#SpoonTip: Going to the bathroom is too obvious. Once you use the safe word, your friend can do all the rescuing!

5. Location Tracking

cake, tea

There's no way to phrase this without sounding like a Gen Z techno freak, but the best way to make sure your friends are in tune with where you are (and vice versa) is to share locations. It's been handy for me to be able to know where my roommate is if she doesn't come home for awhile just to be sure everything is a-ok. 

Go Kick Ass

Stephanie Zajac

Boss ladies, it's time to put the knowledge to the test! The city isn't nearly as scary as people make it out to be. More importantly, this is your time to shine, not your time to live in fear. Be confident, be smart — everything else will fall into place.