It is a new year and time to power through the first few weeks of 2017 with one secret weapon: turmeric milk tea.

Turmeric milk tea or "golden milk" has become pretty popular recently on social media. Turmeric has been used for 4,000 years to treat a variety of conditions. Studies show that turmeric may help fight infections and some cancers, reduce inflammation, and treat digestive problems. 

Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric is a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants work to fight free radicals, which damage cell membranes and can even cause cell death. Antioxidants have been shown to prevent or repair damage caused by free radicals in the body.

This turmeric milk tea recipe is a great way to incorporate turmeric into your daily diet, and all the ingredients can be found at Trader Joe's and most grocery stores.

chocolate, coffee
Rebecca Alcosser

I recommend using a dairy-free milk alternative like coconut, almond, cashew, or soy milk. You can also sweeten your turmeric milk tea with honey or agave if you like.

cream, candy, sweet, milk
Rebecca Alcosser

Turmeric Milk Tea

• Prep Time:1 min

• 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ginger more to taste
  • 2 teaspoon cinnamon more to taste
  • 1 tablespoon honey or agave optional
sweet, milk, cream, espresso, tea, coffee
Rebecca Alcosser

Heat coconut milk in a saucepan, just until it starts to bubble.

Rebecca Alcosser

Add turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, and black pepper.

sweet, potato, sweet potato
    Rebecca Alcosser

Whisk milk until all ingredients are combined. Enjoy while hot!

scrambled, egg, omelette, omelet
    Rebecca Alcosser

I know black pepper sounds weird in this recipe, but it is one of the most important ingredients! When curcumin is eaten without black pepper, it is metabolized without being absorbed for use. The piperine (key chemical) found in black pepper has been shown to make curcumin more bioavailable, meaning it's more readily used by your body.

Basically, if you want to get the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic benefits from turmeric, make sure you add the black pepper! 

Happy New Year! Here is to a healthy 2017!

Keep on Spoonin'