On the long list of holidays that don't necessarily need to be holidays but have become one anyway, National Vanilla Milkshake day is right up there. No one knows exactly when the holiday was officially created but it seems as though milkshakes have been around for a while. 

National Vanilla Milkshake Day is not as widely celebrated as National Ice Cream Day (3rd Sunday in July) or Free Cone Day (April 10), but a few restaurants are offering deals. In years past, Sonic offered 50% off of vanilla milkshakes and we are keeping our fingers crossed that they will do that again. Also The Satellite Room is offering free vanilla milkshakes during their happy hour on June 20. 

One other point to note: National Vanilla Milkshake Day should not be confused with National Vanilla Ice Cream Day which is celebrated on July 23 or National Chocolate Milkshake Day on September 12.

cream, ice, milk, dairy product, chocolate, ice cream, sweet, coffee
Torey Walsh

A vanilla milkshake is the classic flavor, but it can be plain at times. Never fear: Here are a few ways to hack your vanilla milkshake for National Vanilla Milkshake Day. 

Toppings:

chocolate, cream, coffee, ice, milk, ice cream
Teodora Maftei

Inside the Glass:

Vanilla is the classic base to any successful milkshake. In order to preserve the vanilla base for the special holiday and make your drink Insta-worthy at the same time, accessorize your glass with all sorts of creations. 

You can drizzle the cup with chocolate or caramel before you pour the vanilla milkshake in to give the outside a decorative pattern. Use as much or as little syrup as you want. There are no rules in milkshake-making! 

On top:

candy, sweet
Christin Urso

Once your glass is decorated completely, pour in your milkshake, letting it fill all the way to the top. After that, the real decorating can begin. A fan favorite topping is whipped cream on top. 

The whipped cream can serve as the blank canvas to hold the rest of your creation. To keep it looking insta-worthy, you can continue the chocolate or caramel drizzle that is also inside the glass, on top of the whipped cream.

Now you have the true creative freedom. Go ahead and add different types of candy including M&M's, Reese's or Skittles. Rainbow or chocolate sprinkles are also a great way to add more color to the top. 

chocolate, cookie, sweet, candy, cake
Torey Walsh

For a bit of texture to balance out the candy, cookie or brownie bits will fit nicely on the top of your creation. If you are feeling super ambitious, you can add a whole cookie or a brownie, or even both, to the side. 

The last step is to serve your milkshake with a traditional brightly colored milkshake straw. They can be found in most grocery stores or on Amazon. And of course, no matter what you choose to hack your milkshake with, you can't forget to top it with a red cherry! As the saying goes: You have to put the cherry on top!