Most college kids aren't getting their five recommended servings of vegetables per day. Veggies get a bad rep for being both bland and expensive, but they don't have to be either! Frozen vegetables are a great alternative because they're more affordable than fresh vegetables, frozen when they're at peak nutritional value, and you don't have to worry about eating them quickly after you buy them. However, many people don't know how to roast frozen vegetables. 

This hack upgrades affordable, frozen vegetables to delicious roasted vegetables in no time. Roasting frozen vegetables is so easy and delicious that you'll be wanting to make them for every meal. Say goodbye to mushy, reheated veggies!

#SpoonTip: Make sure to use an oil that has a high smoking point for roasting vegetables. You never want to use an oil at a temperature past its smoking point, as that creates free radicals and breaks down nutrients. You can read more about which oil to use here.  

Roasted Frozen Vegetables

• 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
  • 1 bag frozen vegetables
  • Salt and pepper optional
  • All-purpose seasoning optional
cheese, vegetable, salad, broccoli
Emmrick McCadden

Preheat oven to 375°F and put baking sheet in oven to preheat as well. Preheating the baking sheet ensures that the vegetables won't get soggy, as they'll start roasting as soon as they touch the sheet.

salad, olive oil, vinegar, salad dressing, herb, oil
    Emmrick McCadden

In a large bowl, mix together frozen veggies with oil, salt, and pepper, and any other seasonings you like. I'm using all-purpose seasoning as I find it tastes delicious on all varieties of vegetables. If you're feeling particularly lazy, you can also throw a tablespoon of oil and a few shakes of seasoning into the bag that the veggies come in and shake that up a bit.

salad, vegetable, broccoli
    Emmrick McCadden

Remove the preheated baking sheet from the oven and spread out the veggies in an even layer.

cabbage, salad, vegetable, broccoli
    Emmrick McCadden

Roast the veggies until they are are lightly brown and slightly crispy, about 50 minutes. It'll take less or more time depending on the size and how frozen the vegetables were to begin with. Check on your veggies around 45 minutes to see if they need more time. Let cool, and enjoy! Roasted vegetables can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.

cheese, vegetable, salad, broccoli
    Emmrick McCadden