Eggshells are a strange concept. We throw them away once we have taken what we want, the yolk and egg whites, from them. I never once thought twice about throwing eggshells away until I came across this website. I was hooked and started researching more ways to use eggshells because now I feel guilty throwing them away all these years when they can be used for so much.

When using eggshells for anything, always make sure they are cleaned thoroughly so that they are free from bacteria. If you don’t wash them thoroughly, or want to be sure they are safe to use, place the eggshells on a cookie sheet and bake at 150 degrees for 10 minutes.

Face Mask

Eggshells

Photo courtesy of @eliinwonderland24

I know, this doesn’t sound too comfortable, but hear me out. By crushing eggshells (easiest done with a mortar and pestle) and combining their powder with an egg white, you will have yourself a homemade face mask. Make sure to allow this skin-tightening mask to dry completely before rinsing off.

#SpoonTip: You can use the same egg for both the shell and whites!

Garden Fertilizer

Eggshells

Photo courtesy of Romir Melo

Eggshells are very rich in calcium and other minerals (remember, they originally protect and feed a baby chick) so they are great for helping gardens thrive.

For best results, crush eggshells into small pieces and place into the whole you wish to put a plant. Then, sprinkle shells around the base of the plant every two weeks to ensure healthy growing.

#SpoonTip: You can also use this method for indoor plants to keep soil loose and aerated.

Start Seedlings

Eggshells

Photo by Momtastic.com

This trick is a great way to start growing herbs or other small plants in your own home. Place clean eggshell halves into an empty egg carton. Make sure to poke a hole at the bottom of each half to allow for drainage. Add potting soil and one to two seeds and you have yourself a little garden.

Coffee Additive

Eggshells

Photo by Linzie Gienau

A couple weeks ago, I went a week without coffee, and it wasn’t easy. I drink a lot of coffee, but I really dislike bitter coffee and I was amazed to find that adding crushed eggshells to coffee grounds before brewing coffee (if you aren’t using a Keurig) can remove the bitterness.

Sidewalk Chalk

Eggshells

Photo by Beth LeValley

This is totally awesome and a great DIY project to do with kids. All you need is eggshells, flour, hot water and food coloring. The great thing is, you can personalize the chalk by making it into whatever shape you want.

Calcium Supplement (for humans and dogs)

Eggshells

Photo by Jessica Farber

Because they are high in calcium, eggshells make a great supplement in juices, smoothies, yogurt and more. Wash the eggshells, making sure they are free of any inside membranes then, cook them at 350 degrees for eight minutes. Let them cool and grind them into a fine powder and add to your smoothie or juice.

This method can also be used for dogs, but not in juices and smoothies, of course. Instead, add the powder to their food but make sure to consult a veterinarian to determine how much powder to add.

Irritated Skin Relief

Eggshells

Photo by Kelsey Kuschner

Apparently, eggshells and apple cider vinegar are the go to for treating dry or itchy skin. Fill a small container with apple cider vinegar and drop an eggshell or two into it to soak. After allowing the eggshells to soak for a couple of days, dab the mixture onto the irritated skin for relief.

Dish Cleaner

Eggshells

Photo by Bari Blanga

Eggshells make a great, nontoxic abrasive for tough to clean pots and pans. By combining ground eggshells and soapy water, not only is it cheap and easy, but your stubborn dishes will be shining like new.