Ahh, peanut butter. The nutty, delicious safety net of picky childhood eaters that's a staple in most college dorms. Recently, powdered peanut butter has hit shelves and gained recognition as a lower fat, high-protein way to get your PB fix—one popular brand boasts 8 grams of protein and only 2 grams of fat per every 16 gram serving. Made with roasted peanuts that have been pressed to remove excess fats in oils, it comes in a multitude of varieties: plain, sweetened, and even chocolatey.

While it might not taste exactly like the real thing, peanut butter powder is praiseworthy in its own right. In addition to filling the better half of a classic PB&J, powdered peanut butter's versatile texture and mess-free nature makes it the perfect ingredient for tasty dorm-friendly snacks beyond a sandwich.

Here are some hassle-free ways to use powdered peanut butter:

1. Apple Slices with PB Drizzle

Cut apples, apple slice, apple, apples, Fruit, eat fruit, knife, cutting board

New to powdered peanut butter and not used to its flavor? Start simple and serve it with apple slices. Starting with two tablespoons of powdered peanut butter, add water one tablespoon at a time and stir until it achieves a smooth, pourable, honey-like texture.

Just don’t let it get too watery— you don’t want to lose that delicious nutty flavor! Use a spoon to drizzle it over sliced apples for an Insta-worthy presentation.

2. Honey and Cinnamon Peanut Butter Protein Balls

nectar, sweet, honey, honey dipper
Sam Jesner

If you’re someone who can eat peanut butter by the spoonful, this one’s for you. Into the powder, sprinkle a handful of instant oats, a couple dashes of cinnamon, and a drizzle of honey. Then add water one tablespoon at a time, stirring as you do so, allowing it to remain thick and scoopable. Roll it into one-inch balls (or eat it straight from the bowl). The sweet, nutty result can totally pass for cookie dough. Bonus points if you add dark chocolate chips.

3. Frozen PB Banana Bites

sweet, dairy product
Delissa Handoko

Craving ice cream? Simply mix powdered peanut butter and water to a spreadable consistency, slice a banana into half-inch pieces, and make a mini-sandwich with two banana slices and a dollop of peanut butter. Throw them into a Tupperware or a plastic bag and place it in the freezer overnight— the hardest part is waiting.

4. PB Hot Chocolate

coffee, chocolate, espresso, mocha, milk
Xinwei Zeng

Powdered peanut butter can vastly improve that dining hall hot chocolate that keeps you warm during late night study sessions. Just add a tablespoon directly to the hot chocolate and stir for peanut butter cocoa! Alternatively, you can add some water or milk to the powder beforehand and drizzle it over the hot chocolate for aesthetic points.

5. Two-Ingredient PB Frozen Yogurt

Susanna Mostaghim

Yogurt is another staple that most college students have in their fridge. Not sure what to do with plain or vanilla yogurt? Stir in powdered peanut butter to your liking. This will help the yogurt thicken slightly so it can totally kick a cheesecake craving. Better yet, throw the mixture in the freezer for a few hours for peanut butter frozen yogurt. Top it with chocolate chips or crushed graham crackers if you want to be really fancy.

6. PB&J Oats

blueberry, cereal, sweet, milk, yogurt, muesli, berry, oatmeal, porridge
Becky Hughes

In addition to yogurt, powdered peanut butter can complement another breakfast favorite—oatmeal. Stir two tablespoons of powdered peanut butter into precooked oats. Since the powder will absorb any liquid present, this works best if the oats have some excess water to start.

This recipe also works great with instant oats, just make sure they aren’t flavored. Sprinkle on some mixed berries or dried fruit from the dining hall for a breakfast version of PB&J.

7. Thai Peanut Sauce

spring rolls, rice, vegetable, salad, lettuce
Jillian Rogers

Even if you prefer savory snacks to sweet, powdered peanut butter can still do the trick. For a delicious Thai-inspired peanut sauce, combine 1/4 cup powder with 1/2 cup coconut milk. Add in a squeeze of lime juice, as well as garlic, honey, and soy sauce to taste. Mix all the ingredients together for a fresh-tasting sauce that can be used on salads, as a dip for veggies, or with rice paper rolls.

8. Peanut Popcorn

popcorn, corn, cereal, kettle corn, salt, butter, wheat, caramel
Kirby Barth

For a truly fuss-free snack that’s perfect for movie nights or late night studying, simply sprinkle powdered peanut butter over plain popcorn and enjoy.

These are just a few of the countless ways to enjoy powdered peanut butter. See what works for you, and maybe even add your own flair to these recipes! Now grab a jar and wave goodbye to plain old PB&J forever.