Spring break: one of the few weeks of the year where being a Matthew McConaughey-level beach bum is acceptable, where falling asleep with Bob Marley remixes stuck in your head is par for the course, and where tan lines are points of pride. It is a week where many college students go to PCB, the Dominican or Mexico with the goal of soaking up sun and alcohol in equal parts. The trick to surviving spring break is doing everything in your power to prevent the hangover of the century at the end of the week. No idea how to do this? Try loading up on these foods as you sip sangria on the beach—they will help hydrate you and spare you from a skull-splitting headache.

spring break

Photo by Justin Schuble

Popsicle

Duh. Popsicles are just frozen sugar and water. They are the perfect way to cool down between dips in the ocean, and they make consuming water fun. Beware though, the ridiculously high sugar content in many popsicles can prevent your body from soaking in all the water, so don’t rely on popsicles as your only form of hydration.

spring break

Photo courtesy of Happy Cow

Pineapple

Pineapple and spring break cocktails go together like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (take a guess which is the more destructive counterpart). Really though, pineapples are 87% water, so stocking up on pineapple slices at the beach is a great way to replenish some water lost to alcohol.

spring break

Photo by Liana Lis

Strawberries

Strawberries are really easy to transport and snack on— you really don’t have an excuse to not eat them like candy. They are mostly water, so ordering a strawberry drink plus a side of this refreshing fruit is a no-brainer if you want to stay hydrated and headache-free the next day.

spring break

Photo courtesy of AdeLove

Tomatoes

Getting a sandwich from a local sub shop by the beach? Ask for extra tomatoes. They won’t add a significant amount of calories to your sandwich but will enrich its flavor and increase your water intake of the day.

spring break

Photo by Justin Schuble

Watermelon

This should be pretty straightforward. Water is literally in the name of this favorite warm-weather fruit. The sweet taste will remind you of your childhood, and if you swallow a black seed or two, don’t worry—a watermelon plant won’t grow in your stomach.

spring break

Photo by Justin Schuble

Grapefruit

Granted, grapefruit is a little bitter, but if you can stomach it, try adding a grapefruit to your breakfast or squeezing some into a glass for all-natural juice. It’s a more interesting way to hydrate than chugging tap water.

Of course, eating a piece of watermelon or a couple strawberries will not magically fend off a hangover. You need to be sure to eat carbs, drink lots of water—especially because being in the sun and ocean dehydrates you—and pace yourself on the drinking. First and foremost, be safe and enjoy your week in the sun.