Thanksgiving = binge eating attack.

You gather around a table overflowing with comfort foods and stuff your face, especially after living off dining hall food or “cooking” for yourself (cereal for dinner anyone?). In about 20 minutes, you’re loosening your belt buckle in a weak attempt to prevent a stomach explosion. That post-thanksgiving stomachache can be so uncomfortable, it may even lead you to swear off food forever (I mean…until leftovers the next day).

If you weren’t able to prevent a stomach ache, here are 5 tips to help you cope with the Turkey Day tummy:

1. Fiber Up

Fiber is your digestive system’s best friend. It speeds the digestion process and prevents constipation. Trust us, constipation when you’re already the size of a balloon and in full cramping mode is a non-option.

thanksgiving

Photo by Alex Tom

2. H2O Helper

Water aids in digestion and bloat. Try to drink throughout Thanksgiving dinner (which may also keep you from overeating…I repeat may) and continue post-meal to sooth the ache.

thanksgiving

Photo by Hannah Lin

3. Sip Ginger Ale

Carbonation relieves some of the pressure in your stomach, allowing you to easily pass gas. Don’t worry: everyone around you is doing it too.

thanksgiving

Photo courtesy of diaryofapregnantcomedian.blogspot.com

4. Pop an Antacid

This extra kick of acid quickly reduces digestive pain. We recommend taking Gas-x, which also relieves pressure and bloating.

thanksgiving

Photo courtesy of www.wisegeek.com

5. Get Off the Couch and Man Up

A few reasons: digestion works more efficiently when you are sitting up, if you lie down you may fall asleep (especially after all that turkey, hello tryptophan!) and you’ll look like a defeated loser over a Turkey Day tummy’s victory. And yes, all of these scenarios suck.

thanksgiving

Photo courtesy of s281.photobucket.com

So get up, work through the pain, follow these steps and perhaps tape your mouth shut for the rest of the night. But most of all, don’t be a sissy and forgive yourself if you binge — you’re human and it’s Thanksgiving!