With modern technology, every fruit and vegetable is available year ’round. However, not all of the produce in your local super market is in season. A lot of it has been harvested months earlier, and flash frozen so it can be sold throughout the year. If you want to enjoy produce when it is at its best, you need to buy what’s currently in season. Spring is wrapping up and it is not quite summer yet, so in this weird transition period, what fruits and vegetables should we be enjoying?

Artichokes

Seasonal produce_Artichokes

Photo by Renee Zhou

Why you should eat them: They are loaded with fiber, antioxidants and vitamins C and K.
Try them in: Spinach artichoke dip and pasta dishes.

Asparagus

Why you should eat it: Asparagus contains vitamin C, beta-carotene, vitamin E and the antioxidant GSH.
Try them: Grilled or roasted with fresh parmesan cheese sprinkled on top or in a frittata or quiche.

Berries: Blackberries, Raspberries and Blueberries

Seasonal produce_blueberry

Photo by Renee Zhou

Why you should eat them: They are one of the best sources of antioxidants.
Try them in: Smoothies or mixed with Greek yogurt.

Peaches and Nectarines

Why you should eat them: They are rich in beta carotene, vitamin A, vitamin C and potassium. They may also help prevent diabetes and cardiovascular disease, according to a study at Texas A&M.
Try them in: Peach cobbler or a parfait with yogurt and granola.

Cherries

Seasonal produce_cherry

Photo by Renee Zhou

Why you should eat them: They contain Queritrin, ellagic acid and perillyl alcohol, all of which help fight and prevent cancer.
Try them in: Cherry pie and cherry scones.

For a full guide of the best times to enjoy your favorite fruits and vegetables, take a look at CUESA (Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture) for seasonality charts.

More good stuff here: