It’s 8 A.M. –  you unwillingly wake up to the room spinning, a growling stomach and the unsettling fear of whether or not your credit card and cash are still in your wallet. It happens to the best of us at some point or another, but these 5 foods are sure to turn your miserable morning around (so you can go back out that night and do it all over again, of course).

1. Eggs

hangover

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

We all know the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from starting your day with a classic bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. What you might not know is that eggs are rich in cysteine, an amino acid that directly counteracts the negative effects of alcohol. You know what that means – better roll out of bed and get to Sidamo for this lifesaving sandwich!

2. Chicken Noodle Soup

hangover

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons

While chicken noodle soup is frequently used as a miraculous remedy to the common cold (a.k.a. Jewish penicillin), the broth holds the remedy to your worst of hangovers. Bouillon broth, often the base of chicken noodle soup as well as other stews, is comprised of water, electrolytes and nutrients that will help you recover after a big night out.

3. Bananas and Kiwis

hangover

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

Both of these fruits are incredibly high in potassium, which you’ll need to counteract the nauseating stomachache that hits you early in the morning. Alcohol is known to have a diuretic side effect, and potassium is an important electrolyte that will save you from awkwardly leaving to go to the bathroom in the middle of your Friday morning class.

4. Tomatoes

hangover

Photo by Lynden Orr

No, I’m not telling you to mix yourself a Bloody Mary. Tomatoes and tomato juice alone contain antioxidants, which alleviate bodily inflammation that can come from a night well spent. In addition to hydrating with water, keep a V8 in the fridge for an extra boost that’ll keep a rough morning from turning into an entire day spent in bed watching Netflix (not that there’s ever anything wrong with that).

5. Honey

hangover

Photo by Bari Blanga

Whether it’s in your tea or straight from the squeeze bottle, honey is packed with antioxidants and will help break down the Los Cuates margaritas still sitting in your system. In fact, having some honey before you drink can actually prevent a hangover! Your body uses the fructose to kick-start your metabolism and prepare for the change in blood sugar levels once drinking. Just a spoonful of honey, helps the Burnett’s go down!

Note: While these are all preventative measures from feeling under the weather after a night out, the most effective strategy is to be smart when consuming alcohol. Drink responsibly.