Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are an excellent source of plant-based protein. Additionally, they are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber, making them great for improving digestion and reducing the risk of chronic diseases. Many of us may struggle with finding different ways to incorporate these benefits into our lifestyle, but chickpeas offer a diverse range of recipes that will provide lots of nutrients while spicing up your next meal!

Hummus

hummus, spread, cream, blue cheese
Eva Reynolds

What would a chickpea recipe guide be without hummus? This classic dip is perfect for your favorite vegetables, pita chips, and crackers, and it is so simple to make. Mix together canned chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, and salt in a blender for this yummy spread. Add each ingredient in the amount you prefer because while some like a plainer hummus, others love a kick of garlic!

#SpoonTip: Don't have tahini? No problem! Leave it out and add in more olive oil to give it that smooth texture. You can always add unsweetened peanut butter as a replacement, too.

Falafel

falafel, meat, bread, beef, vegetable, parsley, salad, tomato, lettuce
Emma Noyes

Don't put your blender away quite yet because we've got another simple recipe that requires little effort, but brings a lot of flavor. Falafel can be enjoyed in pita wraps, salads, feta bowls—you name it. Simply add a can of rinsed and dried chickpeas, 2 medium shallots, 1/3 cup chopped parsley, 4 cloves of minced garlic, 1 1/2 tsp cumin, and 1/4 tsp each of salt and black pepper into your blender or food processor. Mix until a dough forms, then slowly add in 3-4 tbsp  flour until you can mold the dough into balls. Pop those in the fridge for 1-2 hours. After you have chilled them in the fridge, cook the falafel in a pan covered with 3-4 tbsp of avocado oil at medium heat, flipping each side once it reaches a nice golden brown. 

Chocolate Chip Cookies

chocolate, sweet, cookie, cake, pastry, goody, candy, chocolate cookie

Yes, you read that right; no, you can't taste the chickpeas. These cookies are the perfect alternative for those nights when your sugar cravings are at an all-time high. Even better—this recipe only calls for 6 ingredients! Combine 1 can of chickpeas, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/3 cup maple syrup, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp vanilla extract in a food processor. Then add in your favorite chocolate chips before forming the mixture into balls on a baking sheet. Place them in the oven at 350 °F for 20 minutes, and enjoy these soft and chewy treats while also getting in some good nutrients.

Vegan Chili

Looking for a way to cozy up before the weather gets hot again? Well, look no further because this plant-based chili recipe is the perfect way to do so. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 chopped yellow onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, and 1 minced red pepper into a medium pan and let cook for 5 minutes at medium heat. Then, add in 1 can tomatoes, 1 can kidney or black beans, 1 can chickpeas, 1 cup water or vegetable broth, 3 tbsp adobo sauce, 1 cup corn, 1 tsp salt, and black pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover the mixture with a lid, and let simmer for 25 minutes. Continue stirring and add in lime juice once finished. This vegan chili will bring the most exquisite aromas into your home, while keeping you cozy throughout the night.

#SpoonTip: Add avocado, cilantro, onions, or (vegan) sour cream on top. Want to take it to the next level? Grab your favorite tortilla chips and break them apart for a crunchy topping. 

Roasted Chickpeas

vegetable, nut, cereal, pasture, legume, hazelnut, tigernut, chickpeas
Kristine Mahan

To end the list, we bring you the simplest way to enjoy chickpeas on a daily basis with an easy, flavorful, and protein-packed snack recipe. Thoroughly rinse and dry the chickpeas before placing them on a baking sheet to roast for 15 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. While those are baking, mix together your preferred amount of cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, and pepper in a bowl. Once the chickpeas are done, lightly coat them in olive oil before adding the mixture of spices on top. Place them back into the oven for 10 minutes and let them cool before enjoying this perfect balance of crunch and flavor. 

#SpoonTip: If you're looking for a perfect coating of spice, add the plain, roasted chickpeas into the bowl of spices and mix together to make sure they are completely coated.

Not only do chickpeas bring in a whole lot of health benefits, there are so many simple ways to incorporate them into your meals to ensure you get a proper daily nutrient intake. From full meals to snacks and desserts, there are many ways to enjoy chickpeas without breaking the bank or throwing in the kitchen towel.