It’s March, and it is still cold and snowy. While you may be nostalgic for the bright and fresh summer fruits and vegetables at your local farmers market, don’t fret; I’ve compiled a list of colorful uncommon produce to get you through that last stretch of winter.

1. Red Bananas

winter

Photo by Lily Allen

Since when are bananas red? This exciting twist on your average yellow fruit makes for a deep-red peel and a raspberry-banana taste. Boasting 4 grams of fiber, these fruits ain’t something you can say no to.

2. Pomelo

winter

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

A citrus fruit that resembles the grapefruit and originates from Asia, it has plenty of health benefits— namely, a healthy dose of vitamin A. Vitamin A is known to help reduce aging induced wrinkles— a struggle we university students face with the onset of midterms. You can simply eat a pomelo with your breakfast, or you can try candying the peel for an exciting mid-winter treat.

3. Persimmon

winter

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Though it isn’t red, its orange hue is close enough on the color wheel, right? This fruit has a high amount of antioxidants and is low in fat. It is sweet and is definitely a must-try this month.

4. Radishes

winter

Photo by Hannah Fullmer

These vibrant little orbs aren’t new to many of us, but they’re often neglected. Pick some up at the grocery store next time, while they’re still in season and add some slices to a salad. In addition to boosting the flavor, radishes aid with digestion and provide an array of nutrients including potassium and Vitamin C.

5. Rhubarb

winter

Photo by Alexander Ren

Rhubarb’s tartness pairs very well with sweeter fruits, giving a dessert or snack a tangier taste; an obvious classic and a personal favorite is strawberry rhubarb pie.

Interested in learning more about seasonal fruits and veggies?