Cooking in college may be a constant struggle, but buying ingredients shouldn’t be. Just because Hillside doesn’t sell much of anything, it doesn’t mean that you can’t make that delicious copycat muffin you saw in the cook section. Here in upstate New York, there is fresh produce, protein and more just waiting to be found. In this guide we will give you all the tips and secrets you need to get the ingredients you deserve.

_MG_0038

Photo by Parsa Lotfi

1. Rochester Public Market

_MG_0030

Photo by Parsa Lotfi

America’s favorite public market is just a bus stop away. The Rochester Public Market is open year round on Saturdays until 3pm and is easily accessible by the green line bus. The market boasts fresh produce and goods from over 330 vendors, tasty snacks from food stands and a variety of other culinary delights including assorted pastas and dim sum.  Looking for a greasy hangover breakfast? Don’t miss Juan & Maria’s empanadas, available in six varieties, or homemade cider donuts, perfect with a cup of Finger Lakes roasted coffee. Did we mention that everything is dirt cheap? More info here and bus schedules here.

2. The Flaum Atrium Farmers Market at URMC

_MG_0041

Photo by Parsa Lotfi

If you can’t make the bus to the Rochester Public Market or you need something fresh to carry you over till Saturday, the Med Center has a weekly mini farmers market every Wednesday. From 3pm to 6pm, you can buy fresh produce, baked goods and animal proteins from over 20 vendors. A mere 10 minute walk from Rush Rhees, the Medical Center’s Flaum Atrium is an easy stop on your way back from afternoon classes. Representatives of the Medical Center’s Well-U initiative select vendors who emphasize healthy and sustainable foods, so you can be sure that your food is doctor tested and approved. More info here.

3. Wegmans

fresh

Courtesy of wegmans.com

You’ve never really experienced a supermarket until you’ve been to Wegmans. The number one supermarket in the nation has a massive selection of every ingredient you could imagine, the friendliest employees and low prices to make your shopping experience one of a kind. Wegmans also boasts an impressively well-stocked international food selection if you are hunting for rare ingredients for that exotic dish. Wegmans also boasts a restaurant quality warm foods bar, a fantastic sub shop and some pretty good sushi. We recommend getting a Wegmans membership (it’s free and takes about three minutes) for added savings. Oh, and don’t forget to pick up your back-to-school coupon booklet, all yours with valid university ID. If you get the chance, check out the Pittsford Plaza Wegmans with the Sunday bus lines to see one of the gems in the Wegmans portfolio. More info here and bus schedules here.

Featuring more fresh:

11 Ingredient Swaps for Healthier Eating

Juicing: Farmers Market Edition

Flaum Atrium Farmers Market