Thanksgiving always seems to revolve around the main dish: the turkey. However frustrating this may be for us vegetarians, we’re lucky enough that Thanksgiving  falls at the end of the harvest season, meaning there are plenty of vegetables dying to be turned into a main course masterpiece.

Squash:

There are so many varieties of these versatile gourds, all of which can make for delicious and easy vegetarian alternatives.

• Butternut Squash – sautée this squash with some spinach and top with your favorite seasonings. Check out this recipe.
  • Acorn Squash – this is by far my favorite of all the squashes. Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and rub with brown sugar, cinnamon, and maple syrup. Bake for an hour at 400℉. Simple, yet delectable.
  • Pumpkin – Although the pumpkin is famous for its use in pie and PSLs, it can be made into some great entrees. Check out this recipe for vegan pumpkin risotto.
_MG_9152-2

Photo courtesy of Parsa Lotfi.

Cranberries:

Cranberry sauce is a must on Thanksgiving. It’s sweetness helps cleanse the palate after stuffing yourself full of savory dishes. You can get it from a can, but it’s not difficult to make by yourself (and the results are way tastier). Pick up a bag of fresh cranberries and try out this recipe with a hint of orange.

Vegetarian

Photo courtesy of Parsa Lotfi.

Potatoes:

Whether they’re sweet or just your regular ol’ potatoes, they’re probably the second staple item of any Thanksgiving dinner after the turkey. While plain mashed potatoes might not be the most exciting vegetarian option, there are some ways to spruce these tubers up.

• Sweet Ones – Not many people look to potatoes when thinking about making a casserole, but when you hear it’s topped with brown sugar, it’s pretty much a done deal. Make it with this recipe.
  • Regular OnesMake them cheesy with this recipe for Hassleback Baked Potatoes.
Vegetarian

Photo courtesy of Parsa Lotfi.

Get hyped for Thanksgiving:

How to Throw a College Friendsgiving

103 Thanksgiving Recipes You Can Actually Make

5 Ways to Relieve a Post-Thanksgiving Stomachache