I wasn’t a huge wine drinker before I came to university, but now, in my second year, I make sure there’s always a bottle in the fridge. Whether you’re drinking with friends or just having a glass after a long day, there’s a wine – taste wise and price wise – for everyone.

But have you ever ended the weekend with leftover wine that’s going bad, or wondered if your bottle has any other uses? Student budgets don’t permit very much wasting of food (especially not alcohol) and there are actually a ton of ways to easily incorporate that old wine into your diet.

Wine is actually commonly used to replace some of the fat in recipes, so you’re getting a healthier meal. So whether you’re preventing wine waste or just looking to up your intake, its a win win(e) situation.

1. Cupcakes

Wine

Photo by Morgan Willie

Most people wouldn’t think to add wine to baking. But as Smitten Kitchen blog author Deb Perelman explains, red wine makes a rich and fudgey chocolate cake. It’s also an all natural way to make red velvet. Whip up these simple red wine chocolate cupcakes to see what the hype is all about.

2. Jam

Wine

Photo by Nathalie Kent

Justify having wine for breakfast by easily adding it to jam. Make this 4 ingredient strawberry red wine jam tonight for a boozy breakfast tomorrow. Because you can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning…

3. Risotto

Wine

Photo by Vedika Luthra

Risotto is one of the most common ways to cook with wine. Most recipes call for around 1/2 cup to 1 cup of white, and if they don’t, you just add it in in place of some broth. Using wine will add more flavour and helps to make the rice more tender. Try this one with spinach and mushrooms that’s fresh and perfect for spring.

4. Ice Cream

Wine

Photo by Katherine Carroll

It seems too good to be true right? Well wine ice cream is definitely a thing and it’s the new way enjoy a glass. Read this review of Mercer’s Dairy wine ice cream to find out more. And if you don’t live close to a location that sells it, you can always get your wine ice cream shipped to you.

5. Fish

Wine

Photo by Flickr user TheKitchenAccomplice

Impress your next dinner guest with a super moist, flavourful fish by cooking it with wine. Whether it’s salmon and red wine or cod and white, this technique can be adapted any number of ways and will definitely up your seafood game.

6. Smoothies

Wine

Photo by Rachel Piorko

Feel healthy while drinking wine with a red wine summer smoothie. Get your fruits and veggies in while using up an old bottle with this refreshing drink. Whether you really have it for breakfast or as a treat at the end of the day, it’ll be your go-to drink this summer.

7. Pasta Sauce

Wine

Photo by Kelda Baljon

Mix up the classic college dinner of spaghetti and meatballs by whipping up this white wine lemon butter pasta. A combination of lemon and wine make this dish super flavourful and tangy. You’ll surely impress your roommates with this meal and won’t break the bank.

8. Roasted Veggies

Wine

Photo by Charlotte Hull

This technique can be used for roasting or sautéing vegetables. Just use white wine in the place of some of the oil you cook them in. You’ll end up with a more flavourful, less fatty recipe. Try it on tomatoescarrots or butternut squash.

9. Jello Shots

Wine

Photo by Kelly Logan

Jello shots are great when you’re looking to switch up your drinking routine, but who knew they could be made with wine? Forget trying to get your vodka ratio just right, use your red wine in these shots for a sweeter, more sophisticated weekend drink.

10. Wine Cocktail

Wine

Photo by Krysten Dorfman

If you’re not into cooking something and just looking to spice up the way you drink, try a wine-cocktail hybrid. From sauvignon mojitos to classic sangria, it’s the booziest way to incorporate more wine into your diet. The wine and tequila mix perfectly in this margarita recipe and if all else fails, theres nothing wrong with just drinking it straight from the bottle.