As you stand in line at the DUC salad station for what feels like forever, tapping your feet impatiently, the only thing you can think of is all of the topping options. By the time you get to the front of the line, you know exactly what you want. But Spoon can guarantee that we can do you one better. Here are our top tips:

1. Get the mixed greens

DUC salad

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

Though spinach is considered to be the super vegetable, it’s too bitter—don’t try to convince yourself otherwise. And romaine is too limp. Go with the mixed greens and get a little bit of everything. OR ask for half mixed greens and half spinach for the best of both worlds.

2. Ask the server for roasted garlic

DUC salad

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

This sounds like a strange suggestion, but trust us, it’s worth it. Often they have roasted garlic in the back and they’re more than happy to give you some if you ask nicely. Adding this secret ingredient will give you that extra kick you never knew you needed.

3. Avoid the pasta salads

DUC salad

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

We know they look enticing, and we know they taste even better. But often the dressing on them won’t jive at all with the dressing you choose, and you’ll be left with a salad that confuses your taste buds. You’re better off saving the pasta salad for a summer picnic.

4. Less is more

DUC salad

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

How many times have you made a salad and realized it’s all toppings and no lettuce? Too many times. The cartons they give you are smaller than you think, so go easy on the toppings so you’re actually eating a salad. Or, just succumb and get the large salad. No shame.

5. Try the Caesar salad

DUC salad

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

This is an incredibly underrated option. The Caesar salad might be a little heavy on the dressing, but it’s full of croutons and parmesan. Pile on some chicken and you will have a perfectly composed salad.

6. Don’t be shy with the vegetables

DUC salad

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

Vegetables are relatively neutral, they go with everything. No matter how many red peppers and snow peas you throw on your salad, you won’t overwhelm your delicious creation. So go crazy.

7. Discuss options with your server

DUC salad

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

The servers are unbelievably wise and we don’t utilize them enough. Ask them which vegetables they suggest today, or which dressing is their favorite. Always trust the experts.

8. Steal bread from the soup station

DUC salad

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

Yes, the bread may be reserved for the soup. But who’s to say you can’t take it for your salad? No one. You need some carbs after all and the rolls are delicious.

9. Pile on the Craisins and Goldfish

DUC salad

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

You may not know this, but Craisins are the ultimate salad topping. They add some much needed sweetness to your salad. Add some Goldfish for salty flavor and crunch. These add-ons will have you craving a salad every day of the week.

10. Don’t use the dressings available.

DUC salad

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

Sadly, the dressings offered at the actual salad bar are too thick to mix your salad effectively—unless you want to shake your carton until multiple green peppers fall out. Instead, use the olive oil and balsamic vinegar by the goldfish. You can get your perfect ratio, and you won’t completely overwhelm your salad.

Check out these other related articles: