My top pantry staples include oatmeal, peanut butter, and a can of chickpeas. Chickpeas are such a versatile legume and are really hard to mess up flavor-wise. They are super easy to add to different dishes or stand out as part of the main dish. Below is a list of 10 of my favorite things to do with a simple can of chickpeas. Enjoy! 

1. Falafel

bread, vegetable, sandwich, lettuce, tomato, falafel, herb
Deena Khattab

Falafel wraps or falafel bowls could be my favorite things to eat on this planet. Something about crispy fried (or baked) flavorful chickpea patties full of spices paired with pita bread or rice and lots of vegetables, plus sauces and garnishes- what could be better? My go-to recipe is based off of this one from Epipcurous, though I normally bake them instead of fry. If you're out of fresh parsley or cilantro, just substitute with dried spices (1-2 tsp each).   

2. Hummus 

hummus, bread, vegetable, cream, cheese, parsley
Rae Steinbach

Not gonna lie, I have eaten over a cup of hummus in one sitting. It's the perfect dip! You can have it savory with smoked paprika and peppers, spicy with some chilies, tangy with lemon, or sweet with chocolate. There are so many different recipes out there, but the basis for a classic bowl of hummus is the quintessential can of chickpeas.  

3. Roasted Chickpea Poppers

nut, meat, vegetable, legume, chickpeas, garbanzo, cereal, sweet
Jessica Kelly

Chickpea poppers are a great savory snack for movie nights, hikes, or just if you're craving something crunchy and protein packed. There are lots of ways you can do this, but you can never go wrong with salt, garlic powder, and chili powder. 

4. Chickpea Scramble

Mackenzie Laverick

For all the vegans out there, this chickpea scramble recipe is super quick and surprisingly similar to scrambled eggs. While the texture isn't exact, the taste and tumeric-tinted yellow of the chickpeas makes it a similar experience. Top over toast and have with a cup of tea or coffee for a yummy breakfast.

5. Chickpea Cookie Dough

Chickpea cookie dough is surprisingly delicious and doesn't taste as bean-y as you'd expect. Combine chickpeas with maple syrup, peanut butter, and chocolate chips for a satisfying late-night snack. Get the full recipe here

6. Chickpea Curry

Mackenzie Laverick

Roasted chickpeas in curry are a delicious way to add some protein into your next meal. Throw a can of chickpeas in the oven for about 20 minutes with some olive oil and salt, then add to whatever stir fry or curry you're making. If you need some quick curry inspiration, check out my 20-min curry recipe.

Pro tip: Be mindful of the different cooking times that your ingredients require. In this case, get those chickpeas in the oven first and start chopping up some vegetables. 

7. Chickpea Tacos

Photo by Shannon Milling on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

Chickpea tacos! Roast chickpeas with paprika, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, and salt and pepper. Combine with roasted onions and peppers. Top over tortillas with pico de gallo or salsa, along with avocado and (vegan) cheese and sour cream.

8. Sweet Chickpea Snacks

vegetable, nut, pasture, cereal, legume, hazelnut, tigernut, chickpeas
Kristine Mahan

Want something sweet but low on ingredients? Toss chickpeas in the oven with some maple syrup, cinnamon, and a tad of vanilla (trust me). Bake at 350˚F for 20 minutes, flipping halfway. I also like doing this with a dash of salt for some more seasoning, or even cocoa powder if you want something slightly chocolaty.  

9. Chickpea Burgers

Craving a bean burger but don't want the normal black bean? Try Minimalist Baker's sun-dried tomato chickpea burgers! Great for outdoor parties and summer soirées, this burger will beat out the meat version for fan favorite. 

10. Chickpea Salad

quinoa, couscous, vegetable, chickpeas, buckwheat, salad
Caitlin Wolper

Often during the summer I crave something cooler that doesn't require an oven or any heat source to make. This quinoa avocado chickpea salad is great to pack on picnics and get a hearty mix of protein, carbs, and healthy fats.