It’s the most wonderful time of the year, folks.

I’m not just talking about that month long gap between semesters where you can recline on your couch, catch up on long-missed TV shows and breathe a sigh of relief that finals are done (though, those are all major bonuses). When it comes to the holiday season, I like to think of one beautiful word: indulgence.

Everyone has their own form of indulging. For example, my sister will do anything she can to nosh on the crunchy, caramel goodness of oatmeal lace cookies. However, the one thing we all universally reach for is, undoubtedly, chocolate. And since the weather outside is getting frightful, let’s make it hot.

hot chocolate

Photo by Allie Brady

If you are one of those college kids lacking in kitchen access, willpower or a combination of the two, then you can do the simple version of these recipes using instant hot cocoa powder. However, I highly encourage going the extra mile for supreme chocolaty goodness; it’s simple to whip up and worth the richer taste. Follow the recipes below to have the most delicious holiday season yet.

1. Mexican Hot Chocolate

hot chocolate

Photo by Allie Brady

Way back when, ancient Mayans revered cacao as a drink fit for the gods. With a slight kick that will tingle your taste buds, it’s easy to see why. Follow the recipe here.

2. Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate

hot chocolate

Photo by Allie Brady

I know what you’re thinking: you are done with being “basic”. But hey, people are slurping PSLs by the gallon for a reason, and that reason is because pumpkin is delicious. Be sure to whip this one up.

3. Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate

hot chocolate

Photo by Allie Brady

Personally, I will do anything to capture the perfection that is the combination of salty and sweet. Not to mention chocolate and caramel are (in my honest opinion) the best things to come together since Will and Kate. Sipping on this will turn that cold weather frown upside down.

4. Frozen Hot Chocolate

hot chocolate

Photo by Karina Rao

For those of you who can embrace UV Rays all year long on campus, do not fear. You too can still indulge in the majesty that is liquid chocolate; instead of a steaming mug of hot cocoa, chill out poolside with the frozen version and just “Let it Go”.

5. Peppermint Hot Chocolate

hot chocolate

Photo by Allie Brady

Studies show that dark chocolate is filled with heart-healthy antioxidants. Why not add another body-boosting punch with some peppermint? It’s known to help clear away the sniffles in a jiffy. Not to mention, it’s positively heavenly in a cup o’ cocoa. For those over 21, double up on the minty goodness with a drop or two (or more, who’s judging?) of this.

6. Orange Hot Chocolate

hot chocolate

Photo by Allie Brady

Orange you glad you saw this one here? There’s something about the tang of citrus cutting through the richness of chocolate. Please, I beg you, give it a taste.

7. Irish Hot Chocolate

hot chocolate

Photo by Allie Brady

Top o’ the morning to ya. That whole “pot of gold” myth can’t be right when leprechauns could be sipping this at the end of a rainbow. Even if you’re not Irish, you’ll feel lucky to have a mug of your own.

8. Coffee Hot Chocolate

hot chocolate

Photo by Allie Brady

Craving something sweet while still needing that buzz of caffeine to get you through your 8am? Try this recipe on for size and ensure you get the best of both worlds.

9. Maple Hot Chcolate

hot chocolate

Photo by Allie Brady

Buddy the Elf was right when he said syrup should be its very own food group. Who knew that putting it in your hot cocoa would add a unique and balanced sweetness you’ve never tried before? Added bonus: this recipe is dairy-free.

For other ideas on how to warm up this winter, check out this articles:

Nutella Hot Chocolate

5 Hot Chocolates From Around the Country

6 Ways to Spice Up Your Hot Chocolate

The Only Boozy Hot Chocolate Recipe You’ll Need This Winter