Yoga and young guys! “I’m not flexible enough,” “I don’t want to embarrass myself in front of a ton of girls,” and, “Yoga’s easy”... are all responses I’ve gotten from college males when asked if they want to try a yoga class. But when surveying males, especially male athletes, who have been exposed to yoga, they all had different impressions from the ones above both before doing yoga and after. Why?

There seems to be a mindset men who don’t participate in yoga have, being societally influenced to think that yoga is only for girls, or that you need to be able to do a split to participate. But in reality guys, yoga is incredibly beneficial and healthy for your bodies, especially for athletes. So how does yoga help?

Benefit #1: Mind & Body Awareness

Meditation

Moyan_Brenn on Flickr

Men’s Health said that about 3.5 million men practice yoga, including NFL players. By creating a strong bridge between your mind and body with a major focus on your breath, yoga can help men achieve results in areas they never thought possible. Think of yoga as a form of meditation that strengthens your mind and body simultaneously. It can help with your focus in school, your performance in sports, and can even improve your sex life by teaching you to have specific control over your muscles and their movements.

Performance

Rio 2016 - Weightlifting men's 69 kg

sanderginkel2 on Flickr

Yoga also helps males improve their performances in all aspects of their lives because of its stress-relieving qualities, according to U.S. News. It’s known for being a powerful destresser, and by calming your mind, you can improve your performance in the classroom, on the sports field, and in almost all social situations. Combine little to no stress with the strong control yoga teaches you to have over your body and mind, and you get incredible results. It can especially be a great way to regenerate your muscles and recuperate for optimal daily athletic performance.

Glorified Stretching?

Stretching

@lattefarsan on Flickr

And to the guys out there who think yoga is just glorified stretching, think again. Men’s Journal says that yoga combined with weight training can actually help give you a huge advantage when working out or playing a sport. One yoga teacher, Andy Glickman, who was interviewed by Men’s Journal said that “Yoga utilizes only natural body weight and resistance to build lean muscle, create definition and to bulk up. However, most men would use it in combination to keep their muscles lean and flexible while growing in size." So to get even bigger gains, try taking a break from that second gym session and hit the mat instead.

Real Guys, Real Opinions

Tip: For even bigger gains, try taking a break from that second gym session and hit the mat instead.

Yoga 23

o0bsessed on Flickr

While writing this article I asked a few college athletes who practice yoga four questions: How long/often do you do yoga? What did you think of yoga before you did it? How do you feel yoga has affected your body and mind? What do you think of yoga now, has your view of it changed?

One swimmer at Rollins College, Arron Nestor, said that he has practiced yoga every Saturday for about three months and that he originally thought it was relaxing but strenuous. Afterward, though, he felt that yoga “incites at times an inner relaxation and calm after what would otherwise be a heavy recuperation and stress.” His view of yoga has not changed, he always felt that way.

Another swimmer from Rollins College, Luke Waite, said that he practices yoga once a week, and originally thought that it could greatly increase his flexibility. He feels that he has gained more flexibility and better breathing, and he wishes he could do it every day.

Finally, an athlete from Middlebury said that he has rarely done yoga, sometimes for 10-15 minutes before practice a few times, but barely. He initially thought that yoga seemed relaxing and beneficial for your body, and after doing it he said that he felt relaxed and an increase in his flexibility. His view on yoga remains the same, that it’s relaxing and beneficial for your body.

Sunrise.

dennis on Flickr

coffee
Kristine Mahan

So if this article and the athletes above still don’t convince you, just grab a mat and stop by your nearest class. You won’t regret it come your next sports game or graded class discussion, and who knows? You may even join the 3.5 million other guys who see the benefits of yoga for their bodies and minds, and who are excelling in their areas of expertise because of it. 

Finally, an athlete from Middlebury College, said that he has rarely done yoga, sometimes for 10-15 minutes before practice a few times, but barely. He initially thought that yoga seemed relaxing and beneficial for your body, and after doing it he said that he felt relaxed and an increase in his flexibility. His view on yoga remains the same, that it’s relaxing and beneficial for your body.