Kicking back on the couch with a tall glass of wine might just be one of the greatest feelings after a long day. However, there might be more benefits to your favorite glass of red than the sweet taste and aesthetic. Studies have shown that you are doing wonders for your bodily health by treating yourself to 5 oz. of fine wine every night before bed. Need an excuse to pour a glass? Here’s five.

You’ll Sleep Better

napping, nap, sleep, sleeping, pillow, blanket, bed, tea, beer, cake

Sleep plays a very important role in our daily lives; not only does it help us to relax, but it's also involved with the repair of your heart and blood vessels. According to scientific studies, those who drank 5 oz. of red wine every night reported better sleep quality than those who drank water. And as a college student who relies on sleep to stay sane, how can I argue with science?

You’ll Protect Your Brain

Similarly, the calming effect that we feel from drinking a glass of wine has great benefits for your brain. First and foremost, wine has the tendency to create a “calming effect” on the brain allowing us to de-stress after a day of hard work. However, scientists have found that wine could even have long-term benefits for our mental health when consumed in moderation. For example, red wine contains polyphenol antioxidants which assist in the reduction of neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. So be nice to your brain, and treat yourself to a glass with dinner.

You’ll Reduce Inflammation

candy
Kristine Mahan

Resveratrol, a compound in red wine, has proven to show anti-inflammatory properties. A 2014 study found that this supplement stopped the formation of inflammatory components that are associated with cancers and other chronic diseases. Resveratrol has also gained a lot of attention for its anti-aging properties. However, it is important to remember to drink in moderation, as an excess of alcohol can lead to an increase in inflammation.

You’ll Fight Sickness

cake, coffee, tea
Kate Steiner

The same antioxidants that help to reduce inflammation also have proven to show boosts in the immune-system. And as a college student who feels as though they are getting sick every other week, I’ll stand with the research on this one. Studies have shown that those who drink wine nearly every night had a 40% lower risk of contracting the common cold. Furthermore, doctors have discovered that drinking red wine specifically can boost immunity against 200 viruses (wow!).

You’ll Protect Heart Health

beverage, liquor, glass, cheers, red wine, wine, alcohol
Caroline Ingalls

Red wine has additionally proven to lower LDL levels (bad cholesterol) and increase HDL levels (good cholesterol). These balanced proportions make it more difficult for blood clots to form that can, on occasion, lead to heart attacks or strokes. As previously mentioned, resveratrol, if consumed regularly, contains anti-inflammatory properties that can help protect the body from the dire consequences of cardiovascular disease.

It is very important to keep in mind that the aforementioned health benefits stem from a diet in which red wine is consumed regularly in light to moderate amounts. Excess drinking will likely cause more harm than help in the long run.