At some point, every college student could use a little help staying well. Thankfully, the University of Maryland has come up with a large number of wellness resources that students can take advantage of. 

Group Counseling

coffee, tea
Katie Walsh

The University of Maryland offers group counseling for a wide range of issues faced by students. There are groups for everything from sexual assault to anxiety, body image issues and general wellness. 

These groups meet at the Counseling Center, which is located in the  Shoemaker building (right next to the South Campus dining hall). 

Individual Counseling

If group counseling isn't your thing, you can meet with a counselor for an individual session, also located in the Counseling Center. Students can receive up to eight sessions per year, for anything from career anxiety to relationship problems. 

On-Campus Dietitian

pizza, beans, tea, beer, coffee
Lexi Nickens

Many college students struggle with maintaining a healthy diet while on campus, or with eating disorders and other body image issues. If this sounds like you, schedule an appointment with the on-campus Dietitian, who's located in the University Health Center

Initial appointments last about 50 minutes, and include an assessment of your nutritional habits and creating a plan for how to make better nutritional decisions. For only $20.00 per visit, a trip is well worth it.

STI Testing

The University Health Center holds free STI testing events throughout the year. They take place on one Thursday each month, from 11:00 AM until 2:30 PM. Students can get tested for some of the most common STIs and get results in 2 weeks. HIV testing is also available and gives same-day results.

Help Center

The Help Center is a peer counseling hotline, staffed by students. The students working here are trained, and can help you with any concern you may have. 

The center isn't just a phone service, they also offer walk-in counseling and pregnancy tests to students at 3105 South Campus Dining Hall. No appointments are needed for either of these services, and they are completely free to students.