It's amazing to walk through the yogurt section of Whole Foods or Natural Grocers and see all the new yogurt options. While vegan yogurts once tasted like pureed tofu, they now come in every flavor and milk alternative imaginable. It's an absolute dream for vegans and dairy-dodgers alike. But how similar (or different) do all these vegan yogurt alternatives taste? We readied ourselves with spoon and shopping cart to find out the answer for you. After some serious, incredibly intense tests, we present our findings. 

For fairness, we only tested the regularly sweetened vanilla flavors of vegan yogurt alternatives. After the initial test, we added granola to see how the texture affected the taste-- and because who doesn't love granola?

1. Kite Hill Artisan Almond Milk Yogurt

Emma Cleland-Leighton

Thoughts: This is a sweet yogurt with a slightly lemony taste. The texture is a little watery at first, but once you stir it, it's just fine. Very tasty, and the sleeve separates from the cup for easy recycling. 

2. Vega Protein Cashewmilk Yogurt Alternative

Emma Cleland-Leighton

Thoughts: This had a slightly powdery texture, but the taste was nice and a bit tangy. The nutrition for this one is awesome-- there's 13g of protein per container, and only 7g of sugar. 

3. Forager Project Organic Cashewgurt

Emma Cleland-Leighton

Thoughts: First of all, cashewgurt is just about the most amazing word ever. This is a creamy and sweet yogurt-- it almost tastes like vanilla ice cream. It's really good with granola. Another bonus: this label peels off for easy recycling, too!

4. Silk Almondmilk Yogurt Alternative

Emma Cleland-Leighton

Thoughts: This is a very vanilla tasting yogurt, altogether quite good. And Silk seems to be much more widely available than the other brands. 

6. So Delicious Coconutmilk Yogurt Alternative

Emma Cleland-Leighton

Thoughts: Super tasty, and this one is the most like a regular, dairy based vanilla yogurt!

7. Silk Soymilk Yogurt Alternative

Emma Cleland-Leighton

Thoughts: Delicious, creamy, with a true vanilla flavor as well as 6 grams of protein, AND widely available, this ticked all the boxes for a vegan yogurt staple. 

8. GoodKarma Flaxmilk Yogurt

Emma Cleland-Leighton

Thoughts: For all of our friends out there with an allergy list longer than a CVS receipt, this yogurt is perfect for you. It's definitely not as sweet or traditional as some of the other options, but 5 grams of protein and no soy, nuts, or dairy, it's still a winner. 

Conclusions

They're all fantastic! I was so pleasantly surprised that they all tasted like (wait for it) yogurt! They all have some definite differences, though. If you're looking for something with higher protein, opt for the Vega or Silk Soymilk. If you're looking for an allergen friendly vegan yogurt alternative, try Good Karma's Flaxmilk Yogurt or So Delicious' Coconutmilk Yogurt Alternative. And if you just want a sweet way to finish the day, then Kite Hill, Forager, or Silk Soymilk are all great options. Just a reminder,we aren't professional taste testers, just regular college kids. Take everything with a grain of salt. And a dash of granola. Maybe a fruit compote?

Go ahead and pick up a few containers-- eat them for breakfast, or veganise your favorite spoon recipes like these blueberry and greek yogurt cookies or these adorable mason jar yogurt breakfast parfaits. The possibilities are endless!