I never thought I’d say it, but pancakes might actually be a healthy way to start your day. Well, not all pancakes. I’m specifically talking about these new Phoros Nutrition Protein Pancakes, created by a fellow UC student, Marcel Salapa

pancake, cream, pastry, cake, chocolate, sweet
Spencer Smith

So what sets these pancakes apart? Well for starters, each serving packs 30g of protein, 18 grams of carbs, and just three grams of fat. In simpler terms, these pack a punch equivalent to an 8oz chicken breast and small side of quinoa in just two pancakes. As college students, we would be lying if we said we closely monitored our protein intake. (It turns out that ramen only has 4.5 grams per bowl...sigh)

In addition, the mix caters to those in the #fitfam practicing a low carb diet. Salapa designed these pancakes to kill cravings without throwing your fitness goals out the window.

wine, jam, syrup, strawberry, honey, sweet
Spencer Smith

If you’re still not convinced, I’ll move on to how they taste. If you're striving for #gainz, Salapa recommends swapping milk for water and to hold off on the butter and syrup. 

But if you’re like me, you’ll settle for a quick meal where you can squeeze in part of your daily recommended protein. This means you can throw some bananas, strawberries, reduced sugar syrup, or even Nutella on top to make these into the breakfast we know and love. You can finally brag to your mom that yes, you did have a delicious and nutritious breakfast.

I applaud this mix for providing us with something so versatile that it can serve as both a quick post-workout meal and the perfect pre-midterm snack. It’s always hard to balance being healthy and being a foodie, but these breakfast-favorites allow just that.

Phoros Nutrition Protein Pancake Mix is available on Amazon for under $11, just in time for the pre-summer gym rush.