Acne sucks.

It feels like I have used everything in an attempt to get rid of my acne. Hopelessly trying every product like benzoyl peroxide, honey masks, tea tree oil and pretty much anything I could get my hands on.

After hearing three different opinions from three dermatologists, I am coming to terms with the fact that my type of acne requires oral antibiotics, to fight the inflammation from the inside out. The only problem is you have to remember to take the medication everyday and as an over-worked, lazy, college student I learned that lesson the hard way.

Now that I know what this medicine does for my skin and how it works, I am determined to stick with the regimen to help me get rid of my acne--once and for all.

Antibiotics To The Rescue

So how do antibiotics help cure acne? While topical medications work with what is on the skin, antibiotics help to get rid of the nasty bacteria that’s lurking underneath. Oral antibiotics also reduce oil production, which can reduce inflammation under the skin.

The only downside to oral medication is that because it works mainly under the skin, results usually aren’t seen before six to eight weeks. This is why many dermatologists, like mine, also prescribe a topical treatment as well as a specific face wash. 

Yes, acne sucks, but it won't be around forever if you decide to do something about it and stick to the treatment plan.

cream, pie, cake
Alexandra Saliani

It was hard to hear that I had to take an oral medication, apply Aczone and use a sulfur wash to get rid of my acne. Yes, a lot of household and pharmacy products are great for acne and break-outs, but sometimes, like in my case, that is not enough. After all, it was exhausting trying product after product to achieve a perfect complexion, with no luck. 

Acne causes and cures are one of those things that differs from person to person, which is why your friend could stop eating dairy and have their skin *magically* become clear. But sometimes, you just have to seek medical attention for your zits.

You’re not broken or doing anything wrong; results are just harder to achieve when you’re not 100 percent sure what you’re doing. While you should always go to a certified dermatologist for a consultation, sometimes the biggest step is just realizing you can't solve this problem on your own.