While fitness classes may sometimes get a bad reputation in movies for making people do ridiculous moves or being full of intimidating people who are already in super good shape, the truth is that they're a fun way for people of all fitness levels to get in shape. Whether you're just starting out, looking for a way to shake up your routine, or even if you just want to meet some new people, trying out a workout class is a great idea. Plus, each fitness class is only $5, (or less if you have a semester pass) which is a lot less expensive than other fitness classes in Malibu. 

Here's a list of five of my favorite Pepperdine fitness classes everyone should try before they graduate.

1. Indoor Cycling

It's difficult to understand the hype of an indoor cycling class if you've never tried it. After all, couldn't you just go for a bike ride outside? However, I strongly recommend giving this class a chance to see if it changes your mind. With the upbeat music, encouraging instructors, and energy of all of the other people working so hard around you, you'll end up biking a lot faster and enjoying yourself a lot more than if you had just gone out on your own. Just make sure to bring a water bottle and a towel because you'll definitely need them!

2. Vinyasa Yoga

College can be really stressful at times, and one of the scientifically proven best ways to relieve your stress is yoga. In this class, there's a great balance between time spent pushing yourself with challenging poses and time spent focusing on taking deep breaths. This class is perfect for people who are interested in improving both their mental and physical health at the same time. 

3. TRX

This class is great if you want to experiment with a new way of working out. TRX bands are suspension training devices that help you build your strength and work on your flexibility. The bands are super versatile which means they can be adjusted to work out nearly every muscle group. Plus, the class takes place outdoors, so it's a great thing to do on a day when you want to take advantage of the great weather!

4. Power Sculpt

This class is perfect for anybody who's interested in building some muscle. The great thing about this class is that you get to choose how heavy the weights are. This means that you can really customize the class to fit your goals, whether you're looking to put on some serious muscle or just be able to put your suitcase into the overhead bins without asking for help. Just don't forget to refuel after your workout.

5. Boxing

There's a reason that boxing has become the new favorite workout of supermodels. It's a great full body workout that simultaneously builds strength and burns calories. And it's difficult to get bored with boxing, unlike a lot of workouts where you're just repeating the same motions. You'll be so busy focusing on getting in your combination that you won't even notice you've started pouring sweat. Bonus: you'll look and feel like a total badass.

Pepperdine offers a lot of great tools for getting in shape both indoors and outdoors. For further information about fitness classes, backpacking trips, equipment rental and more you can check out the Pepperdine Campus Recreation Center's website for details.