There's nothing better than climbing into bed with a fresh pair of sheets after a long day. However, we're all guilty of keeping those sheets on the bed a little too long and not getting around to them until it's convenient. 

As someone who works long days and gets home late, the last thing I want to do is strip my bed and throw the sheets into the washing machine. Mostly because I'm ready for bed as soon as I walk through the front door.

I'm definitely guilty of climbing into bed (and sometimes the couch, because it's closer) without worrying about the hygiene of my sheets. 

As a college student, it's difficult to get those sheets into the washing machine because of lack of time, access to a washer and dryer, money, or motivation in general. However, that doesn't dissolve the issue at hand: sheets need to be washed.

The Facts

According to the Consumer Reports, sheets should be washed every two weeks (though they should be washed more frequently if you sweat a lot). The sweat can become an issue if you climb into bed after a hard workout without a shower (no judgment). 

Sheets need to be washed regularly because of the dirt and the dust that rapidly accumulates—in addition to humans shedding millions of skin cells every night. However, according to Cleanipedia, "We’re not alone in our beds—we settle down at night with microscopic dust mites, among other things." Uh, gross.

To Make Matters Worse... 

"Dust mites can cause respiratory problems for the approximately 20 million Americans who are allergic to mites or, more specifically, to the waste they leave behind," according to Quality Health. This can create quite an ordeal. 

So, it's best to skip the filth and find time to take care of your sheets. You spend about 26 years of your life sleeping, so be sure to make every second count.