This recipe for savoury pancakes requires mainly two ingredients: split black gram and finger millet flour, both of which are hugely nutritional. Split black gram improve digestion and raises energy levels. It is also particularly good for diabetic or heart patients.

Soumya Singh

Finger millet flour (aka ragi) is a low-fat cereal that is easy-to-digest and gluten-free. It is a rich source of Calcium, Iron, Protein, Fibre and other minerals.

Soumya Singh

Now, like any other pancake, we need to begin with the batter. It is, unfortunately, not an instant whip batter. It require fermentation for up to 10 hours. So make it one night, and forget about it till you wake up next morning or when you plan to make it the next night. So, here's the recipe to get cracking, and enjoy your savoury pancakes along with two healthy sauces that will make it taste better.

INGREDIENTS (for pancakes)

Split Black Gram - 1 cup

Finger Millet Flour -  3 cups

Salt - as per taste

Water - as required (for soaking)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Soak black gram for 6-8 hours. Remove extra water after soaking and grind till paste-like consistency.

2. In a large bowl, add 3 cups of finger millet flour, salt and paste. Mix well, use water if needed till batter-like consistency. Cover and keep aside for 8-10 hours for fermentation.

Soumya Singh

3. Mix again and use greased non-stick pan to make the pancakes. Thickness is up to you. Your savoury pancakes are ready.

4. Serves 4-5 people.

INGREDIENTS (for sauces)

Chilly Tomato Chutney

Tomatoes - 4 medium sized

Onion - 1, chopped

Garlic - 4 cloves

Dried Red Chillies - 6 or 8, whole

Curry Leaves 

Coriander - 2 tbsps., chopped

Cumin Seeds - 1 tspn

Cooking Oil - 1 tbspn

Mustard seeds - 1 tspn

Salt - as per taste

Sugar - 1 tspn

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin and mustard seeds when the oil is sizzling.

2. Place curry leaves, whole red chillies and garlic in pan. Saute, then mix onions and tomatoes. Saute again till tomatoes are halfway cooked through. Add sugar, salt and coriander. Take off the heat to cool.

3. Place mix in blender and blend till it's a coarse paste. Serve with savoury pancakes.

Soumya Singh

Roasted Gram Chutney

Roasted Gram - 1 cup

Green Chillies - 3 to 4

Onion - 1, chopped

Curry leaves - 8 to 10

Coriander Leaves - 3 tbspns, chopped

Salt - as per taste

water - as required

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Place all ingredients in blender. Blend till it's a fine paste.

2. Add water as required as consistency required. Serve with savoury pancakes.

Soumya Singh

Serve the two sauces with your hot, fresh savoury pancakes and store away leftover batter in the fridge for future use.

Soumya Singh