Sleep is something we all cherish and need to function like a normal human. It helps us feel awake and gives the necessary energy we need to get through the day. While most of us are either pulling all nighters to hand in an assignment or just plain sleep deprived, we're constantly forgetting the importance of sleep... and not just a few naps.

Why Do I Need Sleep?

chocolate, cake, sleep, nap, napping, sleeping, asleep, girl, bed, blanket, pillow

Sleep greatly impacts your diet and your hormones. Your diet and hormones are health related, and both are important factors that contribute to how you feel throughout the day. Not getting the appropriate amount of sleep each night will only result in the increase of overall sleep debt and crankiness. 

Just think of all of the hours of sleep you're losing each night. They add up into days, weeks, and months in no time, and you're unable to make up for that lost time. Sometimes, you need to put yourself and your overall well-being as a higher priority than Netflix or drinking. You can always make time for that one extra episode or tequila shot in the future, but you can't make up for all of the lost sleep. 

How Can I Get More Sleep?

cake, chocolate
Emily Chaisson

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. Congrats, you've finally realized that us adults need at least seven to nine hours of sleep each night. Although it's nearly impossible to make up for all the missed sleep, you can start fixing things now by not napping during the day. Nap three hours during the day? You'll be up all night. What sounds more appealing - a three hour nap now or at least seven hours of sleep later on?

If cutting out naps just isn't for you, either sleep naked if possible or eat any of these foods. Although it sounds strange, either tactic will help you get a full night's sleep. 

You need lots of sleep so you can have energy to be the amazing person that you are each and every day.  I've stressed the importance of sleep within this article because without my full 8 hours and I roll up to class acting like a robot.