Kale: some love it (shoutout to Beyoncé!), some hate it, some have no idea what it actually is. Regardless of how you feel about this trendy leaf, there is no denying that it's insanely good for you.

Despite its plentiful health benefits, kale isn't always a delight to chow down. Its fibrous, rubbery texture and sharp, earthy taste aren't exactly a mouthwatering combination. That's why I've crafted a green smoothie that is so incredibly mouthwatering, you will forget you're essentially drinking a cup of kale. 

I've blended and drunk many green smoothies, but nothing trumps this easy recipe (even my 13-year-old, vegetable-avoiding sister loves it). Transport to a blissful state of yum with this refreshing, tropical green smoothie. Kale yeah!

Green Smoothie

• 1 large ripe banana
  • 1/2 cup frozen or fresh pineapple chunks
  • 1 1/2 cups raw kale
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened soy/almond/other milk choice
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut water
  • 1 scoop protein powder optional
  • 1/4 an avocado or 1 tablespoon coconut butter optional
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt optional

Throw everything in the blender and blend! Generally, you want to put your fruit and liquids at the bottom, and add greens last.

basil, spinach, vegetable, herb
    Abby Farley

If you're using a lot of frozen ingredients, alternately pulse and stop to stir the ingredients in the blender until it can really pick up momentum. You can always add more water or milk if the bender is having a hard time. Blend until smooth and adjust quantities to taste (add more banana for sweetness, etc).

broccoli, water, vegetable, herb
    Sarah Silbiger

Pour and enjoy!

vegetable, herb
    Abby Farley

This smoothie is perfect for a light breakfast, afternoon pick-me-up, or anything in between. As if you need another reason to get blending, it's also ridiculously good for you. One cup of raw kale provides tons of vitamins A, K, and C, as well as crazy high levels of essential antioxidants, fiber, and Omega-3's.

Pineapple is also bursting with Vitamin C, meaning that this smoothie is the perfect elixir to both nourish your skin and strengthen your immune system. In addition, bananas are not only full of potassium, but they also contain serotonin and dopamine, the chemicals that make your brain happy!  

Now that you know how easy this smoothie is to make and how jam-packed it is with nutrients, all that's left is for you to do is whip out your blender and see for yourself how scrumptious it is! Whether you are a smoothie connoisseur, a kale enthusiast, or someone just trying to find a way to eat their veggies without actually forking them down, I hope that this recipe brings you as much joy (and kale) as it has brought me.