If you're like me, you are pretty addicted to Instagram. Although I am a little ashamed of how many hours I probably spend on it, I have also found a ton of great healthy recipes, workouts, restaurant recommendations, and of course, drooled over food-porn. However, amidst the great ideas on Instagram are some highly sponsored and poorly researched nutrition advice. In addition, many "famous" Instagrammers promote unhealthy fad diets and products that aren't actually healthy for you, like the Pinnertest.

Scroll with caution

As a dietetic student, I am constantly wary of diets and easy solutions to weight loss. The truth is, the healthiest way to lose weight takes patience and dedication. Recently, I have seen many of my favorite food bloggers posting about this "Pinnertest." As stated on their website, they use IgG and microarray technology to detect food intolerances.  Although I believe food can cure many preventable diseases, I knew something was a little fishy about this test so I investigated further.

Do your research

According to many sources, the Pinnertests' use of IgG and microarray technology is a "non-evidence based test." Although it is an interesting idea that many foods cause inflammation and potentially cause bloating, indigestion, etc. for certain people, there has not been enough scientific evidence to accurately determine food intolerances with this form of testing.

So what should you do?

I suggest that before you spend $200 on a test that is promoted by supermodels, health bloggers, athletes, and celebrities, try to do a little research first. If you ever experience unusual (I'm not talking about eating one too many cookies) indigestion, bloating, diarrhea, or any other weird stomach issues, you are definitely not alone. If these are interfering with your every day life I would recommend seeing a dietitian and possibly trying an elimination diet . You could even track what kinds of foods cause your stomach issues by writing down meals that cause serious issues. 

Next time you're scrolling through your feed, think about the people you follow and if they're giving healthy advice or if they are causing unhealthy thoughts. If they embody unrealistic bodies, restrictive diets, or just post about eating spinach too much, don't hesitate to #unfollow them. Eat foods that make you feel good and don't think too hard about it.