Oh, good old osteoporosis. It is definitely not the most thrilling topic we write about here at Spoon University, but it is more important to talk about now than most people realize. Osteoporosis is a condition where the inner support structure of your bones starts to break down, making it easier for your bones to break and harder for them to heal. 

Personally, I want to be getting lit on the dancefloor until I'm as old as Betty White, so I asked my doctor what I could do now to keep that inner bone structure strong AF for the next 80 years. This is what she said:

1. Load Up on That Calcium

sweet, yogurt, coffee, dairy product, cream, milk
Stephanie Lee

For all of you cheese lovers out there, this is good news. My doctor's #1 recommendation was loading up on calcium-rich foods like yogurt, cheese, leafy greens, cereals, and bony fish like tuna.

2. Yoga

Photo by Matthew Kane | Unsplash

matthewkane on unsplash

Studies have shown that gettin' bendy for just 10 minutes every day can significantly strengthen the bones in your spine and hips. So grab a yoga mat and get in touch with your inner yogi!

3. Cut Down on Caffeine

Doctors recommend ingesting no more than 300 mg of caffeine per day — which is equivalent to two grande pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks — if you want to avoid osteoporosis. While some of us are like Lorelai and still need to be hooked up to a coffee IV, regularly cutting down our caffeine intake will make our bones thank us down the road.

4. Sunshine (aka Vitamin D)

Photo by Julia Caesar | Unsplash

juliacaesar on unsplash

In order to absorb all that cheese-tastic calcium, your body needs Vitamin D. You can get your fill of the D from supplements or from Vitamin D-rich foods like egg yolks and salmon. Or better yet, by soaking up those rays on a warm beach in Mexico. 

5. Regular Exercise

Another way to keep those bones strong is to make sure you are doing moderate exercise at least 3-4 times a week. Whether you do kickboxing, go for a run, or break a sweat in the bedroom, regular exercise will maintain and increase your bone mass, and help you avoid bone fractures.

Osteoporosis might seem like something only your grandma should worry about, but avoiding it is something that starts when you're young. Plus, according to my doctor, older people without osteoporosis are less likely to break a bone while boning, so follow these tips and keep getting down with it into the next century.