Vacations usually mean eating all of my favorite dishes prepared by Ma (my mother). Due to my unhealthy life status (Thanks, college!) and my mother's love for a fit and healthy life, she is constantly looking for recipes and food for me that is delicious and healthy (thanks, Ma). 

One such discovery was this dip. It began as something really simple a chef on T.V. whipped up, but slowly, with my mother's ingenuity in the kitchen and trial and error method, it became the "famous" dip it is today. I love the dip enough to eat bucketfuls of it whenever I can. While you might dip your veggies into a dipping sauce, I dip my fave dip into veggies. Our friends and family have been begging us for the recipe and my mum is more than willing to provide it (Cause she's nice that way). So I decided to use my trusty foodie platform and copyright this beauty (in a sense) as my mum's dip forever or till the robots take over with a simultaneous zombie apocalypse

So here's the recipe for you: 

Ma's Yogurt Dip

• Prep Time:5 hrs
  • Cook Time:0
  • Total Time:5 hrs

• 1/2 Kg curd
  • 3 spoons olive oil
  • Tabasco
  • Salt
  • 7-8 cloves garlic
  • 2 green chilis
  • 7 walnuts
  • Oregano
Devika -

Hang the curd in a muslin cloth (or a really fine cloth) for about 4-5 hours to drain off all the water from it, but retain enough to give it a creamy consistency.

Devika -

Crush the garlic and the chilies together. Keep aside.

garlic
    Sarah Schuette

Pound the Walnuts into smaller pieces but NOT a powder. They will give texture to the dip.

nut
    Devika -

Take of the hung curd and put it in a bowl.

shellfish, fish, seafood
    Devika -

Mix all the ingredients in the falling order. Add the oil and salt first, Tabasco (to taste) next. Fold in the crushed garlic and chilli and finally add the pounded walnuts.

Devika -

Pour into a serving bowl and enjoy!

dairy product, bread, flour, cream
    Devika -

Why is the Dip Healthy? 

Like I said, I can eat bucketfuls of this dip and my mum's okay because of the multiple health reasons it promises. Hung curd is a good substitute for cream, mayonnaise, or cheese and it has a very high calcium content. Draining the water from the curd makes it good for those that are lactose intolerant, to an extent. 

Curd also regulates cholesterol and reduces high blood pressure. The only fat in the dip is the oil which you can regulate yourself. Walnuts are extremely good for health, especially your brain. Besides the Tabasco, the dip is organic has no preservatives.  

The dip is also very versatile because you can subtract or add ingredients. My mum experiments with herbs and nuts all the time (not all are successful). You can have it with bread, crunchy chappati (just re-heat it with butter), boiled vegetables and even fruits (try pineapple). 

So hang that curd and create your own version of my mum's dip!