Having recently transitioned to a vegan diet, I’ve done a lot of research on different alternatives to meat and I’ve got to say vegans are incredibly creative. I’ve come across recipes for a vegan lox bagel where carrots were used as a substitute for salmon. Also, the popular YouTube channel, Munchies, featured a recipe for a “pulled pork” sandwich where trumpet mushrooms were used as the base. The result was a beautiful dish that you would’ve never known was vegan by looking at it. However, a more popular way to mimic pulled pork is by using what’s called a jackfruit.

The jackfruit hails from the rain forests of the Western Ghats of India and has since spread to other parts of India, southeast Asia, the East Indies and the Philippines. One of the first things you should know about jackfruit is that it’s huge. It is the largest tree-borne fruit and can weigh up to 150 pounds. Don’t freak out though, smaller ones do exist, being as light as five pounds. However, if you’re not into weightlifting, you can also purchase canned jackfruit at any local Asian market. If you decide to take this route be sure to purchase the jackfruit that is submerged in brine and not syrup.

And if you’re not into weightlifting, you can also purchase canned jackfruit at any local Asian market. If you decide to take this route be sure to purchase the jackfruit that is submerged in brine and not syrup.

So, what makes jackfruit the perfect substitute for pulled pork? Well, when cooked long enough, about two hours or so if fresh and not canned, it takes on pretty much the exact same consistency of pulled pork. Also, its mild flavor takes on any spices and sauces really well so whichever barbecue sauce you end up using will be the only thing you taste. Another plus, if you choose to cook with canned jackfruit, the process can be as short as thirty minutes until you’re ready to eat. While your jackfruit is cooking you can even whip up a quick kale or cabbage slaw to top off your sandwich. The Minimalist Baker's take on the BBQ jackfruit sandwich is one of my favorites. Jackfruit can also be used to mimic other meats like beef and chicken in dishes such as a Philly cheesesteak or any easy chicken and pasta dish.

There’s no need to limit yourself to the frozen fake meat options, which while some are good, aren’t always the healthiest for you. Once you give jackfruit a try, you’ll probably opt to skip the frozen section altogether. Except to check out the vegan ice cream selection of course. 

Another plus, if you choose to cook with canned jackfruit, the process can be as short as thirty minutes until you’re ready to eat. While your jackfruit is cooking you can even whip up a quick kale or cabbage slaw to top off your sandwich. The Minimalist Baker's take on the BBQ jackfruit sandwich is one of my favorites. Jackfruit can also be used to mimic other meats like beef and chicken in dishes such as a Philly cheesesteak or any easy chicken and pasta dish.