There seems to be a wellness class for everything nowadays - and sleep is no exception. At Chill Mediation + Massage, a meditation studio nestled in Chicago's bustling river north neighborhood, there exists a class solely dedicated to dozing off.  Chill's social media presence is the epitome of soothing, and it's not a ruse.  After finals this past year I needed a zone to de-stress and detox and Chill Chicago proved to be all that and more.  Before visiting, I was a skeptic–after all, paying $20 to take guided meditation and what I chalked up to a sleep class seemed overindulgent.  However, after my first visit, I gained a new perspective on wellness.

My Journey to Chill Chicago 

Nestled into Chicago's bustling River North neighborhood, Chill is a meditational oasis right out of Architectural Digest.  After checking in at the front desk and perusing little items for sale amongst which are body stickers with the ascribed promise of having mood effects, you're offered tea and encouraged to roam around.  My favorite spot and the most Instagrammed are hanging hammock chairs, set in front of an exposed white brick wall with the slogan "It's Good For You, Chill".  You can also opt into getting a massage pre or post-class, which is definitely on my Chill Chicago to-do list. 

The Actual Class

Next comes class– among breathing and meditation led ones, there is a class that is solely dedicated to dozing off.  On the website, Chill describes this "Rest" class as this: 

"Arianna Huffington said it first but we’ll happily say it again: sleep your way to the top. It’s indisputable that sleep is a vital ingredient for personal, relationship, and job success. But for most of us, it’s difficult to unwind. The anxiety of the day swirls through our pillow-resting heads, causing the dreaded toss and turn. These classes are designed to combat evening brain-spin. Offered only in the evening, they focus on deep relaxation and transition from stress to sleep (snoozing encouraged).

It’s good for: sleep, sex, maximum calm, an alternative to nighttime binge eating and sleeping pills, great dreams."

Starting with a little bit of guided meditation, The teacher encourages to utterly unwind, letting everything go. With some guiding words and calming scenarios to think through, the instructor's soothing voice lulls you into a place of tranquility with only happy thoughts in mind.  Then, it's time to lie on a giant body-pillow-esque bean bag.  Already in a place of calmness, laying down and embracing the silence and allowing your body to completely relax, and yes, even doze off, is easier than expected.  I'm one of those people who finds it incredibly hard to slow my mind down, and really did not think I'd be able to let myself melt into a mindless state.  However, I found myself right in the sweet spot that occurs when you're about to doze off, mind completely clear and carefree. 

Concluding Thoughts

While I can understand why something like this wouldn't work for everyone, I strongly suggest it for people who feel that they're always running a mile a minute.  The best anecdote to a stressful day and surefire way to get a good nights sleep, I'm officially a believer in the power of Chill Chicago.