I first heard about this journey from my bae, the queen of all queens, Shonda Rhimes. For those of you who don't know her (and seriously how dare you if you don't) she is the creator and executive producer of Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, and Scandal. The creator of Shondaland (yes, she has her own land) pretty much runs Thursday nights on ABC #TGIT. She's the definition of baddassery (see definition below).

For an entire year, and now what has become a lifestyle, she said "yes" to anything that scared her. And I mean EVERYTHING.

Her book "Year of Yes" goes into detail about the different things she said yes to like speaking the whole truth, all play and no work, her body, and of course dancing it out.

As an avid follower of her TV shows, kick-ass commencement speech, and most recently her book, I decided that I wanted to something similar.

Why?

I've never really been a big fan of New Year's resolutions. Aside from the fact that I break them within the first month, I feel like there is so much pressure on them. If I break it then I can't start over. The strictness of it has never really sat well with me.

The reason why I chose to do my own year of yes is because I wanted something that was going to be mine and nobody else's. Nobody can tell me how to do this. Every day is going to be a new adventure.

Where I'm Going From Here

So how exactly do I do this? Truthfully I have no freakin' idea. I'm just going into each new day hoping that I can find something to say yes to, and if I don't, I won't beat myself up about it. I want to hold myself accountable for stepping out of my comfort zone and trying new things and see where they take me. At the end of this year I'll be sure to catch you all up on how the year went! 

FYI

“Badassery: 1. (noun) the practice of knowing one’s own accomplishments and gifts, accepting one’s own accomplishments and gifts, and celebrating one’s own accomplishments and gifts; 2. (noun) the practice of living life with swagger : SWAGGER (noun or verb) a state of being that involves loving oneself, waking up “like this” and not giving a crap what anyone else thinks about you. Term first coined by William Shakespeare," (Shonda Rhimes, Year of Yes).