One of the hardest things to do as a busy college student, is find the time and motivation to workout. The idea of hopping on a treadmill is dreadful and the weights area is always too packed (not to mention embarrassing when everyone else is lifting 3x the amount as you are). It seems like the best time to go to the gym would be in the morning, before class starts and before it's time for happy hour. But the hard part about a morning workout is trying to shower, get dressed, and eat breakfast all before your first class. One way to help that time crunch though, is to grab a quick breakfast from one of the fast food chains on/near your campus. If you look a little past all the fried food options, they might have healthier options to choose from, especially for breakfast. Here are a few healthy fast food options you can enjoy after your morning workout.

McDonald's

cake
Alex Frank

McDonald's is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of fast food. Considering their unhealthy reputation, it might be a surprise to you that McDonald's is even on the list for a healthy breakfast. But behind the buttery biscuits and greasy sausage, they actually have some healthier and protein packed options. My favorite and go-to breakfast from McDonald's is their Egg White Delight. This small but filling sandwich consists of an English muffin, egg whites, Canadian bacon, and white cheddar cheese. It's only 260 calories and has 16 grams of protein (essential after a tough workout). A couple of other great options would be the Egg McMuffin (300 calories), and the Fruit and Maple Oatmeal (310 calories). Even though McDonald's isn't your picture perfect restaurant for a healthy meal, their breakfast options are an exception.

Chick-fil-A

beer, pizza
Shaq Junaid

Another fast food restaurant with great post-workout breakfast options, is Chick-fil-A. From the fried chicken sandwiches, to the crispy waffles fries, it seems as if all of their meal options are close to perfection--for taste enjoyment. Even their breakfast menu stays true to the quality and deliciousness of every other Chick-fil-A item. For a quick and healthy breakfast, the Sunflower Multigrain Bagel (220 calories) paired with a fruit cup (45 calories) is a great option. This whole meal would contain 265 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 6 grams of protein. If you're looking for additional protein to add to your bagel, low-fat cream cheese or natural peanut butter would be great options.

Starbucks

frappachino, Starbucks
Sam Jesner

Starbucks has to be one of the best options for a healthy breakfast. If you stay away from the decadent pastries and sugar filled drinks, you can purchase a pretty nutritious breakfast. If you're craving something sweet, the Hearty Blueberry Oatmeal is perfect. These oats are only 220 calories, with 5 grams of protein, and lots of antioxidants from the fresh blueberries. But if you're craving something more savory, I would recommend the Spinach, Feta, and Egg White Breakfast Wrap. With 19 grams of protein (wow!), this wrap will keep you full through a busy day of classes.

Panera Bread

cheese, sandwich
Hannah Summers

From oatmeal, to breakfast sandwiches, to baked egg souffles, Panera is a great choice for a quick breakfast. Even though it can be hard to resist buying a chocolate chip bagel and smothering it cream cheese, the healthier options at Panera are just as tasty. The Avocado, Egg White, and Spinach Sandwich  is perfect to fuel your body after a morning workout. There are 410 calories, 19 grams of protein to keep you full, tons of vitamins, healthy fats from the avocado, and hardly any sugar. This sandwich gives you carbs, protein, fats, veggies, and dairy, which hits most of the necessary food groups. Pairing the sandwich with a side of fresh fruit makes this dish a home run.

Fast food restaurants can typically have a bad rep for being greasy, fatty, and overall very unhealthy. This is true for most items on a fast food restaurant menu, but if you look beyond all the fried food there could be some healthy choices. By altering or swapping certain ingredients for healthier ones, you can create a nutritious meal. Save yourself some stress and time by grabbing your post-workout breakfast from a local fast food restaurant.