Syracuse University might be filled with plenty of hills and stairs, but your walks to class are not enough. Setting aside time to go to the gym is important for your mental and physical health, especially while away at school. Everyone was a beginner at one point, and there is nothing to be afraid of. Here are 5 tips for making it to the gym that will make it seem a little less daunting: 

1. If Your Building Has A Gym: Take Advantage of it 

Honestly, the only good part of living in BBB is the gym conveniently located in the basement. The one minute commute leaves no room for complaining about the walk to and from the gym. Even in the cold, there is no need for a coat and you can wear whatever you are most comfortable in. Also, with a smaller community, there is usually a friendly face for some added motivation. 

2. It Never Hurts to Bring a Friend

If walking into a huge building alone is stopping you, there is an easy fix: bring a friend. Be the friend in your group that motivates others to make it to the gym this semester. Plus, you can always gossip about the strange things you may encounter while you are there.

3. Try to Stick to a Schedule

For me last semester, Tuesday and Thursday afternoons were the best time to go. While most of my friends were still in class, I had the afternoons free. I was able to get in a workout without feeling like I was missing out on anything else. Choose the time that works for you, and try to stick to those times each week. 

4. If You Know You Are Going out at Night, Try to Go That Day 

Nothing is worse than waking up after a night out with a headache and knowing that you planned to go to the gym. Part of sticking to a schedule means that if you know its going to be a good night, go to the gym before rather than having to go hungover the next day. Also, you'll feel good about yourself while you are getting dressed up to go out.

5. Its OK to Take It Easy Sometimes 

Not everyone can give 100% all of the time, and that is totally fine. Maybe you are having an off day or are just really tired. What is important is that you got up, got dressed, and made it to the gym. Just make sure that you are not always taking the easy way out. Try to push yourself whenever possible... whatever that means to you. 

In the end, it is all about feeling good about yourself and setting the time aside to make your health a priority. Going to the gym can be a great way to take time for yourself or to do something with your BFF. If the gym is new for you, start simple and push yourself little by little. What's important is making the effort whenever possible. Good luck and have fun!