I created this recipe this fall after seeing a fitness blogger's post of an avocado caesar salad for lunch. I remember in high school when I thought caesar salads were a healthier dinner choice because they had salad in the title, which of course meant they must equate to healthfulness.... Then I headed to university, and away from the pasta centric home of my parents. Although caesar salads are delicious, they are not necessarily the most nutritious type of salad. 

Depending on the recipe or brand, caesar dressing can be loaded with mayonnaise, unhealthy oils, corn syrup, and other additives. Caesars can be quite heavy on unhealthy fats, but this year while swiping through fitness bloggers ‘stories’ I discovered a revelation, avocado caesar salad!

I searched through many recipes and after becoming frustrated with the multiplicity of ingredients required for every recipe, I decided I would make up my own recipe. I figured you can’t really mess up dressing. With no cooking or baking involved, the only possible mishaps would be dressing that is too thin or thick, or with an overly pungent garlic or zesty lemon taste. I figured I would take my chances. Now this has become one of my favourite salads to make!

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Servings: 1

1 chicken breast

1/3 to ½ a head of romaine lettuce

2 teaspoon olive oil – separated for chicken and dressing

½ a medium avocado, or 1 whole small avocado

½ teaspoon minced garlic or ¼ teaspoon dried garlic powder

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, plus additional to top salad

1-2 tablespoons water or oil

1 anchovy

Dash of salt

Dash of pepper

Steps:

1) Wash and chop your head of lettuce and set aside in a medium salad bowl.

2) Place a small grill pan or fry pan over low-medium heat and drizzle 1 teaspoon of oil in the pan. Once heated up add the chicken breast cooking on first side for about 6-8 minutes.

3) Meanwhile slice the avocado in half, remove the pit and scoop the flesh into a blender, or food processor.

avocado, guacamole, vegetable
Rebecca Holstein

4) Slice the anchovy and add to blender or processor. Then add the other teaspoon of oil, garlic, lemon juice, parmesan, pepper, and salt.

5) Blend all ingredients until smooth, adding 1-2 tablespoons of water or olive oil if the dressing is too thick.

6) Flip the chicken breast and cook on the other side for 6-8 minutes. To ensure it is cooked through cut the breast in half, juices should run clear when stabbed with no visible pink or red.

cheese, pizza
Jackie Kuczynski

7) Once cooked remove the chicken from the heat and slice it into strips.

7) Toss the lettuce with the dressing.

8) Top the salad with the chicken, and if you wish additional avocado slices and parmesan. 

Talia Moretti