Even the cleanest of clean freaks can neglect these frequently used items. Though caring for them is sometimes an afterthought, they sure could use a lot more love and rub-a-dub-dub. When's the last time you remembered to disinfect some of them during your last spring cleaning extravaganza?

1. Bed pillows

cabbage, cake
Alexis Neely

Sure, we all remember to wash our sheets and pillowcases pretty regularly, but who ever thinks to wash the actual pillow? Unless your pillow is made of foam, you can actually toss it into the washing machine, preferably two at a time. Opt for warm water and a gentle cycle to remove buildup and get the most out of your slumber experience.

2. Appliances

bread, pizza
Alexis Neely

You use these things to clean other things but it turns out they need a little TLC, too. Remove mineral deposits and keep the pipes of your washing machine clean by running a warm cycle with a cup of white vinegar about every three months. Dishwashers greatly benefit from a nice scrubbing and a full run through a cycle every now and then as well.

3. Makeup brushes

tea, coffee, wine
Alexis Neely

You probably are cleaning your makeup brushes, but how often? According to Elle magazine, the average woman should wash her brushes every two weeks. A good way to tell your brushes need a freshening up is when they are no longer soft, and makeup residue is visible. Brushes can be sanitized with unscented soap, dish detergent or baby soap/shampoo mixed with lukewarm water.

4. Doorknobs

beer, coffee, tea
Alexis Neely

Often touched, seldom sanitized. Just thinking about how many hands a single doorknob comes in contact with a day is enough to make any germophobe hyperventilate. Wiping with a disinfectant cloth is a simple, surefire way to clean not only doorknobs, but handles to anything you use often, like the fridge, oven, microwave or sink faucet.

5. Phone

coffee, spam, meat, wine, pizza
Alexis Neely

24/7 use of your beloved cellular device can render it pretty darn disgusting. Over time, fingerprints, dust, dirt and grime can easily accumulate in all its nooks and crannies. Disinfectant wipes or Q-tips with a little rubbing alcohol are a great way to get a quick and easy clean.

6. Remote Control

stout, pizza, ale, beer
Alexis Neely

Yet another forgotten item when you're scrubbing away around the house: the remote control. Once again, a disinfectant wipe or cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol is your best friend for this task. You'll thank me once you remember that one weekend you had in bed with TV marathons and a bad case of the sniffles.

7. Trashcan

beer, coffee, tea
Alexis Neely

You throw trash in it, and you don't always toss like Michael Jordan, so there's no surprise it gets pretty disgusting after a while. A good practice for keeping it in tip-top shape is to wipe it out every time you take out the trash (scented trash bags are also good for the smell).

8. Keyboard

cake, chocolate
Alexis Neely

If you're anything like me, late night study sessions and simultaneous snacking can leave your laptop keyboard literally littered with crumbs. Wipe it clean as often as possible and not just when you notice your "K" key is completely stuck by some foreign food substance.

9. Reusable Water Bottle

cake
Alexis Neely

'Tis a pretty swell practice to wash out that S'well bottle (or economically priced knockoff) at least once a week, or if you have the time, every few days. A quick run through the dishwasher or a few minutes by hand with warm soapy water should do the trick and keep your H2O container pristine.