Anxiety, also known as that jittery feeling that makes you want to run away screaming off the top of your lungs, or makes you want to close your eyes and have everything around you disappear, is a major problem in our society. "Anxious" is a term that is usually thrown around lightly, but in reality, it is so much more than just a term. Living the life of a person with an anxiety disorder is much more complex than we think. 

As a perfectionist with a minor OCD problem, I tend to stress out for just about anything. However, as I have grown older, I have realized that there are ways to deal with anxiety that help lead to having better mental and physical health. Here are a few of the things that can help deal with anxiety and improve your health as a whole. 

1. Adult Coloring Books

beer, candy, cake
Lissane Kafie

People will laugh as much as they want, but believe me when I tell you that coloring books have pretty much saved my life. Okay, maybe I’m over exaggerating just a little, but they are really good for stress relief. When you open up a blank new page and start coloring your masterpiece, you turn into a kindergartner all over again. 

2. Yoga

tea, coffee
Nicole Laszlo

I used to be very skeptical of yoga. I thought I was going to be the most pathetic person when I attended my first class (that my roommates practically dragged me there). To my surprise, although I’m pretty sure I was the most pathetic person in that yoga session, I enjoyed having some “me” time. Apart from being a good strength, flexibility, and balance workout, yoga serves as a time for meditation. It feels nice to walk into that yoga studio and simply detach from the world for a moment. 

3. Go for a run/walk

Getting out there and running is the hard part, but once you start, you’ll be a step closer to bettering yourself. I don’t know about you, but stress is my top motivation to run (followed by health, of course). There’s no better feeling than running as though someone were chasing you. And perhaps it’s the anxiety that’s figuratively running after you, but you are so much faster and stronger that it can never catch up to you. Now, get out there and beat the crap out of that anxiety one step at a time.  

4. Go out for brunch with a friend

milk
Amy Cho

One of the little pleasures in life is sitting down and chatting with your best friend while enjoying a perfectly Insta-worthy brunch. Or perhaps you can pick up your daily Starbucks and maybe get some donuts on the way and have a picnic. Doing this will help you get your mind off of your daily routine and also get some fresh air. It’s not healthy to spend long hours with your face inside a book or staring at a computer screen. Rather, take a small break and enjoy the little things in life. 

5. Treat yourself to your favorite _______

You fill in the blank. For some people, taking a nap is a treat, especially if you have a hectic class schedule. For others, online shopping is a treat. In my case, just about any dessert that I can't get my hands on on a daily basis is a treat.

When I was younger, whenever I was having a bad day, my mom would come back from work with a slice of my favorite lemon meringue pie and my day would all of a sudden go from 0 to 100. Treat yourself to your favorite thing in the entire world, and you will have something to brighten your day.

6. Watch an episode of your favorite show

Sometimes all you need is a break from reality. Watching your favorite T.V. show can help relax your mind and distract it from all the anxiety in your life. No matter how overwhelmed you feel, remember that taking a break is necessary. After watching one episode (be careful, don’t binge watch — remember you still have things to do), your mind and thoughts will be refreshed.

7. Take a bubble bath

Bubble baths are often overlooked, and it’s hard to find the time to prepare and enjoy an overflowing tub of bubbles. However, enjoying a warm bath can help you relax on so many levels. It can help relieve stress as well as improve your sleep. It’s worth it. 

8. Try a new recipe

Lissane Kafie

If you follow a recipe step by step, then nothing can go wrong (most of the time). For the most part, trying out a new recipe gives me the sense that there is at least one thing right in my life. Blast out music as you cook and really think about everything that you are putting into this meal that you will be eating shortly. Invite your friends over, open up a bottle of wine, and detox yourself from whatever it is that is overwhelming you. By the end of the night, you’d have had a decent meal, nice company, and a more relaxed self. 

Next time you start feeling jittery and overwhelmed, take a deep breath, and try one of these 8 ways to help you kick anxiety’s butt.