My boyfriend and I have been dating since Valentine's Day of 2014. While we were able to spend two Valentine's Days together, last year we began a long distance relationship and sadly lost that luxury.

We're both from Toronto and went to high school together. After high school, he went to Ireland while I stayed in Ontario (but that's a story for another time).

coffee, pizza
Victoria Stevens

We're in our second year of long distance and are no longer amateurs, so if you're new to this, welcome to the club (and sorry). Don't fret, there are plenty of ways to celebrate Valentine's Day despite being many miles (or time zones, like us!) apart.

1. Send Each Other Presents

A few weeks in advance, my boyfriend and I usually give each other some ideas of what we want. Keep in mind that a gift might take a while to get to your significant other (S.O., for short) so make sure you do it well in advance.

It's so much fun getting a real package in the mail from your S.O., and when we Skype on V-Day, we open the gifts in front of each other. It almost feels like we're really together! Kind of.

2. Have a Skype Date

I'm not kidding when I say that Skype is a life-saver for LDRs. On V-Day, make sure you carve out an hour or two to have a Skype date. Open your gifts, talk and maybe even eat together. It'll feel like a real date.

Last year, my boyfriend and I watched Friends together a handful of times. Your favourite TV show or a romantic movie is always a great idea for a Valentine's Day Skype date.

3. Mail a Romantic Card

It's rare to get snail mail nowadays that isn't a bill or annoying flyers, so it can be so sweet to get a card or letter in the mail. My boyfriend and I mail letters to each other every now and then, but on V-Day, we mail each other cards. Now you have another thing to open on your Skype date! Plus, having a card that was handwritten by your S.O. can mean so much.

4. Plan an Off-Season Date

Who says you have to celebrate Valentine's Day on February 14th? Last year, my boyfriend came home for his spring break in March and we picked a day to celebrate. We're doing the same thing this year, and it gives us both something to look forward to. Think about your next visit and plan a date to celebrate.

5. Post a Cute Throwback on Insta

water, beer, coffee
Victoria Stevens

It seems like a rite of passage for couples who are together on V-Day to post an Insta together. When you're in an LDR, photo ops are few and far between, and that reminder can be a bit sad.

On V-Day, while all the couples who get to be together are posting, make your S.O. feel special by posting a cute throwback. I know I'm not the only one who smiles like a goof at my phone when my boyfriend posts a picture of me when we're far apart. It's a sweet reminder that he's thinking of me.

6. Deliver Flowers

There are tons of places online that let you send flowers to your S.O. from anywhere in the world. It brightened my day so much last year when I got roses at my door, sent by my boyfriend even from miles away!

7. Keep That Physical Spark Alive

One of the things people always ask me when I tell them I'm in an LDR is how I go that long without—ahem—physical contact. All I'm going to say is that Snapchat and Skype exist, as does your imagination. Take that as you will and amp it up on V-Day.

Being in an LDR isn't ideal, and Valentine's Day can really make you miss your significant other. Thankfully, there are so many ways to stay close despite being far apart. Valentine's Day is just another opportunity to show your long distance love how much you adore them.