Sometimes books are more interactive than movies, and Sarah Dessen's novels definitely fit the bill.  The plots are engaging, the characters are entertaining, and it has some good morals and life-lessons. 

1. You don't need a guy to make you happy

This is taken straight from Dreamland, where the main character finds herself in an abusive relationship. Her life is so hectic that she almost goes into a zombie-like state of mind (hence the title). Originally, the character is drawn to the guy because she forgets all her troubles when she's with him, until things take a turn for the worst. With the help of her family and friends, she's able to escape her dream-like state and move on with her life. The take-home here? If your life is frantic, don't look for a relationship to make it better, just focus on you.

2. Not everything stays the same

Life is like a rollercoaster, it has its ups and downs. Something might seem crappy now, but with time it will get better, or the opposite can happen too. Just take the moment as is, and keep on swimming!

3. You can get through anything

The ordinary struggles in life can be tough, but with perseverance you can overcome any obstacle. Strengthen your relationships with your friends, family, and yourself and you can overcome anything.

4. Everyone has their issues

Never compare yourself to others because you don't know if you have it better than they do. They might seem perfect on the outside, but everyone has their baggage. The important thing is to just focus on yourself and your life and try to avoid the urge to compare yourself to others. 

5. Don't run away from your past

The past has a way of coming back and if you don't overcome it and work through your problems, it can ruin your future. The faster you confront your past, the quicker you can move on to the future.

6. The best path isn't always the easiest

Whether we have to break up with someone that isn't right for us or need to move somewhere, it's always for the good in the end. It's normal to miss the people that have left your life, but the people that matter most are the ones that don't leave. 

Sarah Dessen taught me more about life than my teachers in school. If you haven't read her books yet, it's never too late to check out her books at the library or on your kindle.